1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric Spaces

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    Technically, this is not a homework question, since I solely seek an answer for self-indulgence.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Example 1.1.4. Suppose f and g are functions in a space X = {f : [0, 1] → R}. Does
    d(f, g) =max|f − g| define a metric?

2. Relevant equations

(1) d(x, y) ≥ 0 for all x, y ∈ X
    (2) d(x, y) = 0 if and only if x = y
    (3) d(x, y)=d(y, x)
    (4) d(x, z) ≤ d(x, y) + d(y, z)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, from my understanding: for d(f, g) to define a metric on X, it has to satisfy all the given properties of a metric.
    Well, my question is not necessarily whether d(f, g) defines a metric (though I wouldn't mind a proof of it); I was wondering if property (2) is satisfied.
    Because in my pursuit of an understanding in topology, I stumbled across a compilation of notes, in which the note-taker mentions that the second property is not satisfied.
    The reasoning is: that, "by considering two arbitrary functions at any point within the interval [0, 1]. If |f(x) − g(x)| = 0, this does
    not imply that f = g because f and g could intersect at one, and only one, point."
    However, I was wondering if that could also be said about d(f, g) =max|f − g|, which is the function being originally considered; since if d(f, g) = 0, then max|f − g|= 0, which means that for all points in [0,1], 0 ≤|f − g| ≤ max|f − g| = 0, or |f − g|= 0; which would further imply f = g.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2013 #2
    If f and g are bounded, then that's a metric.
    I know that metric by the name "supremum distance" (It has to be a supremum, not maximum, because the maximum doesn't always exists).

4. Nov 24, 2013 #3
    Oh ok.
    Would it be safe to say, then, that d(f, g) =max|f − g| does not define a metric on X for this particular case, because X is a set of functions that map [0,1] to R, and R is unbounded?

So one might be able to prove that "if d(f, g) =max|f − g| = 0, then f = g", but not the converse; that is "if f = g, then max|f − g|= 0", since max|f − g| might not even exist.

5. Nov 24, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct. Here is an example where the functions are bounded but the max still doesn't exist. Let
    $$f(x) = \begin{cases}
    x & \text{ if } 0 \leq x < 1 \\
    0 & \text{ if } x = 1 \\
    \end{cases}$$
    and let ##g(x) = 0## for all ##x \in [0,1]##. Then ##|f - g| = f## has no maximum value. Since ##d(f,g)## is not even defined for every choice of ##f## and ##g##, it certainly can't be a metric.

6. Nov 24, 2013 #5
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough the condition 2) always work, if if f = g, then max|f − g|= 0, and it will exists.
    The student who toke the notes was wrong.

I was only saying what amends are needed for this to be a metric.

The point that fails, is that this isn't always a function from (X,X) to R, existence fails sometimes.

But once existence is satisfied, the other 4 are always satisfied.

7. Nov 24, 2013 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you restrict the set X to continuous functions, then max will always be defined. And you will have a metric.

8. Nov 24, 2013 #7
    Thank you guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted