Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric System Story

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    Most of the following words are used in the story below. See if you can find where they belong. Have fun!

metric, decimeter, gram,
    length, dekameter, milligram,
    meter, hectometer, kilogram,
    milimeter, kilometer, volume,
    centimeter, weight, liters

Mr. Jim Measurement was going to take his wife, Milly, to dinner for her birthday, although Milly thought she really shouldn't have to ________ till her birthday to be taken out. However, she was very excited, and he had sent her a candy ________, which added to her excitement. Milly didn't get out much, though sometimes __________ sister for lunch.
    Unfortunately, that afternoon Jim was overheard screaming, "Oh, ______ knee is bothering me again! I hope I can _________ later. Otherwise, I will have to disappoint my wife." ____________ often, wondered the staff.
    Everyone knew Jim and Milly to be real _________. The _________ of things those two could get done in a day was unbelievable. They really deserved a night out.

Write the words from the list above that were NOT included in the story.

1. ______________
    2. ______________
    3. ______________
    4. ______________
    5. ______________

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2
    Answer (in white):

Mr. Jim Measurement was going to take his wife, Milly, to dinner for her birthday, although Milly thought she really shouldn't have to 'weight (wait)' till her birthday to be taken out. However, she was very excited, and he had sent her a candy 'gram', which added to her excitement. Milly didn't get out much, though sometimes 'millimeter (Milly met her)'' sister for lunch.
    Unfortunately, that afternoon Jim was overheard screaming, "Oh, 'metric (my trick)' knee is bothering me again! I hope I can 'meter (meet her)' later. Otherwise, I will have to disappoint my wife." 'decimeter (does he meet her)' often, wondered the staff.
    Everyone knew Jim and Milly to be real 'liters (leaders?)'. The 'volume' of things those two could get done in a day was unbelievable. They really deserved a night out.

Words from the list above that were NOT included in the story.

1. length
    2. dekameter
    3. milligram
    4. hectometer
    5. kilogram
    6. kilometer

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    aha, it is too difficult to me. My pitiful imagination!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?