Is There a Limit to the Possible Metrics on a Riemannian Manifold?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the metric tensor and the Levi-Civita connection on a Riemannian manifold. It is mentioned that the metric must come along with the manifold, and there is a formula for the Christoffel symbols which define the connection. It is also noted that multiplying the metric by a non-constant function can result in non-flat geometries. Examples of this are given, such as a conformally flat torus and isothermal coordinates on a surface.
paweld
I wonder how much information about metic tensor of Riemmanian manifold can be extracted if only the Levi-Civita connection is given.

Conversly, if the metric on manifold is given there is formula for Christoffel symbols which define connection so there exists only one symetrical metric connection on Riemmanian manifold. I presume that connection should strongly limited the class of possible metrics but I don't know how.

For example if Christoffel symbols in specific coordinate system vanish everywhere, the metric tensor in this base may be identity matrix times constant (are there any other possibilities??).

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how much information about metic tensor of Riemmanian manifold can be extracted if only the Levi-Civita connection is given.

That's a bit funny to ask, since a Riemannian manifold must come along with a metric.

Conversly, if the metric on manifold is given there is formula for Christoffel symbols which define connection

Yes there is. That's what enables one to define the Levi-Civita connection in the first place. You can look it up in every good book about Differentiable Manifolds (like Do Carmo's book).

For example if Christoffel symbols in specific coordinate system vanish everywhere, the metric tensor in this base may be identity matrix times constant

I think everywhere vanishing Christoffel symbols means zero metric.

Last edited:
That is a good question. I guess that multiplying the metric by a positive constant is the only possibility.

Compatibility says z.<x,y> = <DzY,Y> + <x,DzY>

If you multiply the metric by a non-constant function the equation can't work.

You get z.f<x,y> = f<DzY,Y> + f<x,DzY> + (x.f)<x,y>

I found it instructive to look at flat metrics that are then multiplied by a non-constant function. One gets geometries that are far from flat.
try taking a flat torus embedded in the 3 sphere (easy to write down) and projecting it into three space using 4 dimensional stereographic projection. This will give you a conformally flat torus. Its curvature is highly non-trivial. It looks like a slinky.

Another famous and important example is isothermal coordinates on surfaces. On every Riemannian surface there exists local coordinates which are conformal to the flat Euclidean metric i.e. the metric is a positive function multiplied by the standard Euclidean metric. So this shows that any geometry on a surface can be locally represented as a function times the standard flat metric.

Last edited:

1. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object used to define distances and angles in a curved space. It is used in the study of differential geometry and general relativity.

2. How is a metric tensor different from a regular tensor?

A metric tensor is a special type of tensor that is symmetric and positive definite. This means that it is invariant under coordinate transformations and it can be used to define a positive definite inner product on the tangent space of a manifold.

3. What is the role of a connection in relation to a metric tensor?

A connection is a mathematical object that describes how to connect nearby tangent spaces on a manifold. In the context of a metric tensor, the connection is used to define the concept of parallel transport, which is necessary for defining the notion of a geodesic (the shortest path between two points on a curved space).

4. How is a metric tensor and connection used in general relativity?

In general relativity, the metric tensor and connection are used to describe the curvature of spacetime and how matter and energy interact with this curvature. The equations of general relativity are based on the relationship between the metric tensor and the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime.

5. Are there different types of connections that can be used with a metric tensor?

Yes, there are different types of connections that can be used with a metric tensor. The most commonly used one is the Levi-Civita connection, which is unique and compatible with the metric tensor. However, in certain situations, other types of connections may be used, such as the affine connection or the Cartan connection.