Metric tensor and Kronecker delta

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to derive the relation ##g_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}=\delta_\nu{}^\mu## using inner products of vectors and the incorrect assumption that the individual summands must be pairwise equal for two sums to be equal. It is clarified that this relation is an assumption rather than something to be proved.
Burnstryk

Homework Statement

I am trying to derive the following relation using inner products of vectors:

Homework Equations

[tex] g_{\mu\nu} g^{\mu\sigma} = \delta_{\nu}^{\hspace{2mm}\sigma} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have done is take two vectors and find the inner products in different ways with contravariant and covariant components:

[tex] \textbf{v}.\textbf{w} [/tex]

I have obtained the following relations:

[tex] g_{\mu\nu} v^{\mu} w^{\nu} = g^{\mu\nu}v_\mu w_\nu = v_\nu w^\nu = v^\nu w_\nu[/tex]

Using these relations I decided to take a vector with an arbitrary component (sigma) and multiply it by the metric and inverse considering the lowering and operating nature:

[tex] g_{\mu\nu} g^{\mu\sigma} v_{\sigma} = g_{\mu\nu} v^{\mu} = v_\nu = \delta_{\nu}^{\hspace{2mm}\sigma}v_\sigma [/tex]

and hence obtain the original result.

I wanted to see if these arguments and method make sense or if I'm confusing everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct, but they do not constitute a proof that ##g_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu}=\delta_\nu{}^\mu## because it does not follow from the fact that two sums are equal that their individual summands are pairwise equal.

I'm a bit rusty on this but my recollection is that the result you are seeking to prove is an assumption, rather than something to be proved.

andrewkirk said:
[...] but my recollection is that the result you are seeking to prove is an assumption, rather than something to be proved.
That's correct.

##g^{\rho\sigma}## is defined to be the (components of) the matrix inverse to ##g_{\mu\nu}##, and it always exists because ##g_{\mu\nu}## is assumed to be non-singular.

Likes andrewkirk

1. What is the role of the metric tensor in general relativity?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of spacetime in general relativity. It determines the distance between two points in spacetime and is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is related to the gravitational field.

2. What is the significance of the Kronecker delta in tensor calculus?

The Kronecker delta is a mathematical symbol used to represent the identity matrix in tensor calculus. It is defined as 1 when the indices are equal and 0 when they are not. It is useful for simplifying tensor equations and performing index contractions.

3. How is the metric tensor related to the Kronecker delta in special relativity?

In special relativity, the metric tensor is a diagonal matrix with elements representing the squared distances between points in Minkowski spacetime. The Kronecker delta can be used to simplify the metric tensor in this case, as it represents the identity matrix with 1's along the diagonal and 0's elsewhere.

4. Can the Kronecker delta be used to raise and lower indices in tensor equations?

Yes, the Kronecker delta can be used to raise and lower indices in tensor equations. It acts as the metric tensor in flat spacetime, allowing for the conversion between covariant and contravariant indices.

5. Are there any other applications of the metric tensor and Kronecker delta besides in general and special relativity?

Yes, the metric tensor and Kronecker delta have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in differential geometry, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics, among others. They play a crucial role in describing the geometry of spacetime and in making calculations in tensor analysis more manageable.