Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric Tensor for a Sphere

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know what the metric tensor looks like for a 2 dimensional sphere (surface of the sphere)?

I know that it's coordinate dependent, so suppose you have two coordinates: with one being like "latitude", 0 at the bottom pole, and 2R at the northern pole, and the other being like longitude, 0 on 1 meridian and Pi * R on the opposite side (here, 2 Pi R gives you the same location as 0).

I've searched online and can't find a simple example of this basic metric tensor... :-(

The other one I'm curious about is the surface of a hyperbola (again, think 2-D surface of a shape in 3 dimensions). What is the metric on THAT surface?

Any type of help is greatly appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The standard metric is
    [tex]ds^2 = R^2 \left( d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2 \right).[/tex]

4. Jun 25, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note: George Jones is using the physics notation which takes [itex]\phi[/itex] as the "longitude" and [itex]\theta[/itex] as "co-latitude", the opposite of mathematics notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook