Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric Tensor in R2

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    Hi,

Want to know (i) what does Riemannian metric tensor and Christoffel symbols on R2 mean? (ii) How does metric tensor and Christoffel symbols look like on R2? It would be great with an example as I am new to this Differential Geometry.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The metric tensor defines distances and inner products regardless of which space you are looking at. The Christoffel symbols tell you how your vector basis changes with the point in space. The exact expressions for the metric and Christoffel symbols depend on the chosen coordinate system.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    Thanks Orodruin.
    But I want metric tensor(MT) and Christoffel symbols(CS) in R2 perspective? Consider any 3D object in space how does MT and CS look in R2?
    What do you mean by choosing coordinate system ? Is it world / Cartesian coordinate system you mean?

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is unclear what you mean by "a 3D object in space ... Look in R2".

In order to express the components of the metric and the Christoffel symbols you need to select the coordinate system in which you want to find the components.

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    3D object in Riemannian Space ..... real vector space with D=2 dimensions

7. Sep 16, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your use of the term "3D object" is confusing. What you are likely referring to is a two-dimensional manifold embedded in three dimensions.

A manifold in general is not a vector space - its tangent spaces are.

8. Sep 16, 2015 #7
    Yah its manifold - tangent spaces. My main question was what does Riemannian metric tensor and Christoffel symbols on R2 mean? Illustrate with example

9. Sep 16, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your question is still not very clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook