Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric tensor with components

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I have one question, which I don't know if I should post here again, but I found it in GR...
    When you have a metric tensor with components:
    [itex] g_{\mu \nu} = \eta _{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}, ~~ |h|<<1 [/itex] (weak field approximation).

Then the inverse is:

[itex] g^{\mu \nu} = \eta^{\mu \nu} - h^{\mu \nu} [/itex] right? However that doesn't give exactly that [itex] g^{\mu \rho}g_{\rho \nu} = \delta^{\mu}_{\nu} [/itex] because of the existence of the [itex]- h^{\mu \rho}h_{\rho \nu} [/itex] which is of course small but it's not zero... Can the inverse matrix be defined approximately?

Also I don't understand why should the derivatives of [itex]h[/itex] behave as [itex]h[/itex] itself? I mean they take the terms like [itex] h \partial h, ~~ \partial h \partial h [/itex] to be of order [itex]\mathcal{O}(h^2)[/itex]... why?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

They mean to write
    [tex]g_{ \mu \nu } = \eta_{ \mu \nu } + \epsilon h_{ \mu \nu } , \ \ \ |\epsilon | \ll 1.[/tex]
    Then all the following holds
    [tex]g \cdot g = \delta + \mathcal{O}( \epsilon^{2} ) , \ \ h \cdot h \sim h \partial h \sim \partial h \cdot \partial h \sim \mathcal{O} ( \epsilon^{ 2 } ) .[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook