Diagnosing an Equation in General Relativity

In summary, the equation xμ xμ = gμνxν gμνxν = gμν gμνxν xν= 4 xμ xμ is correct, but if you put them together you can't use v twice as the dummy summation index.
Physics news on Phys.org
Adam35 said:
Hello,

since gμν gμν = 4 where g = diag[1,-1,-1,-1], see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/questions-about-tensors-in-gr.39158/

Is the following equation correct?

xμ xμ = gμνxν gμνxν = gμν gμνxν xν= 4 xμ xμ

If not, where is the problem?

Cheers,
Adam
While xμ = gμνxν and xμ=gμνxν are both correct, when you put them together you can't use v twice as the dummy summation index.
This is correct, I think:
xμ xμ = gμνxν gμσxσ

Likes bcrowell
Indeed, the problem is you use the same dummy index twice, which is not part of the rules.

Samy_A said:
xμ xμ = gμνxν gμσxσ
Yes, that is correct. On the other hand, it is unclear why you would want to do that particular manipulation.

To OP: It is important not to get your indices mixed up. This can happen by the same error displayed here or others. You should avoid using the same summation indices when inserting different expressions into a single one or using the same name for a summation index and a free one. As a rule of thumb, your expressions should contain at most two of each index (and then one up and one down). If you have free indices in an equality, you need to have the same free indices on both sides.

This is kind of a tensor equivalent of the simple algebraic proof that 2=1, isn't it? The trick is that you've done something illegitimate in the middle. One could interpret ##g^{\mu\nu}x_\nu g_{\mu\nu}x^\nu## in multiple ways. You initially write it to mean
$$\sum_\mu\left(\left(\sum_\nu g^{\mu\nu}x_{\nu}\right) \left(\sum_\nu g_{\mu\nu}x^{\nu}\right)\right)$$where I do not intend to imply any summation convention. But you then use it to mean (again with no implied summation)
$$\sum_\mu\left(\left(\sum_\nu g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu}\right) \left(\sum_\nu x^\nu x_\nu\right)\right)$$These are two different things. They only appear to be the same because you used ambiguous notation. As others have noted, dummy indices must appear twice and only twice in any summed term to avoid this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
While xμ = gμνxν and xμ=gμνxν are both correct, when you put them together you can't use v twice as the dummy summation index.
xμ xμ = gμνxν gμσxσ

Looks good to me. I believe that ##g^{\mu\nu} g_{\mu\sigma}## is ##\delta^\nu{}_\sigma## where ##\delta## is the kronecker delta function which equal one if the indices are equal and zero if they are unequal.

Hi all,

thank you very much, especially to Samy_A for a very quick answer. Now it is completely clear to me. To Orodruin: I did this manipulation exactly because I thought that I can. The result was 1=4 as Ibix said which sound weird to me and I was not able to tell what was wrong. Now I know.

No more than two same indices in one multiplication.

Maybe the equation (in the first post) is a good example for students. Shows where one can find himself (1 = 4) if not obey the discussed rule.

Very nice forum by the way. :-)

1. What is an equation in general relativity?

An equation in general relativity is a mathematical representation of how gravity works in the universe. It describes the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy.

2. How is an equation in general relativity different from other equations in physics?

An equation in general relativity is unique because it incorporates the concept of curved space-time, which is not present in other equations in physics. It also explains gravity as a result of the curvature of space-time, rather than as a force between objects.

3. What are the key components of an equation in general relativity?

An equation in general relativity includes terms for the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of space-time, and the stress-energy tensor, which represents the distribution of matter and energy. It also includes the cosmological constant, which accounts for the expansion of the universe.

4. How is an equation in general relativity used in diagnosing theories?

An equation in general relativity can be used to test and diagnose different theories of gravity. By plugging in different values for the stress-energy tensor and cosmological constant, scientists can see if the resulting curvature of space-time matches observations of the universe.

5. Can an equation in general relativity be used to explain all phenomena in the universe?

No, an equation in general relativity is not a complete theory of gravity and cannot explain all phenomena in the universe. It does not incorporate quantum mechanics and is only applicable to large-scale objects and events. Scientists are still working on developing a unified theory that can explain all phenomena in the universe.