Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metrics math problem help

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    I need to prove the following:
    let p be a metric on X, and f:[0,infinity)->[0,infinity) s.t:
    1.f(0)=0.
    2.f is monotonically increasing.
    3. f satisfy: f((a+b)/2)>=(f(a)+f(b))/2
    prove that: f(p(x,y)) is a metric on X, and that that f(p(x,y)) and p(x,y) are equivalent, i.e that there exists reals: b>a>0 s.t a<=f(p(x,y))/p(x,y)<=b.

now to prove the first two consitions for metric is quite easy and i did it, but i find it a bit difficult to prove the triangle inequality, i have a feeling that 3's sign should <=, this way we do get the triangle inequality, am i right?
    and concerning equivalence of metrics, basically if it's f((a+b)/2)<=(f(a)+f(b))/2, then
    f(p(x,y))/p(x,y)<=2f(p(x,y)/2)/p(x,y)<=....<=2^nf(p(x,y)/2^n)/p(x,y), so for p(x,y) we get the maximum of the ratios, so i think that basically f(p(x,y))/p(x,y)<=f(1), don't know about the left inequality.

any hints?

as always your help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

gel

3 seems fine as it is. It is just saying that f is concave. That is

[tex]
    f(pa+(1-p)b)\ge pf(a)+(1-p)f(b)
    [/tex]

for any a,b and 0 < p < 1.
    Then, if x,y > 0 you can set a = 0, b = x+y and p = x/(x+y)

[tex]
    f(y)\ge \frac{y}{x+y} f(x+y)
    [/tex]

similarly, exchange the roles of x and y to get f(x) >= (x/(x+y))f(x+y) and add these inequalities to get f(x)+f(y)>=f(x+y). Then you can apply this to the triangle inequality.

btw, as you needed to prove f(x+y)<=f(x) + f(y) the easiest approach is probably to draw or imagine a graph of a concave function to see what this means, then formulate a rigorous argument based on the intuition gained (which is what I did).

For the second bit, its not true. The metrics won't be equivalent in the sense you state unless f has bounded derivative, which is false for [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{x}[/itex].

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
  6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    btw, can you prove this by using the first definition of concavity that iv'e given (i know that they are equivalent but still I would like to see also a proof with the first definition).

thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?