1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metropolis-Hastings algorithm

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding how to find an expression for [tex]\pi(x)[/tex] and [tex]\pi(y)[/tex] in the relation:
    [tex]
    \alpha \left( {x,y} \right) = \min \left( {1,\frac{{\pi \left( y \right)q\left( {y,x} \right)}}{{\pi \left( x \right)q\left( {x,y} \right)}}} \right)
    [/tex]
    For example, If I want to simulate Normal Distribution (Expectation value m and standard deviation s), how can I find expressions for [tex]\pi(x)[/tex] and [tex]\pi(y)[/tex]? Or are they equal: [tex]\pi(x)=\pi(y)[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2
    I've never used this algorithm, but the values of x and y are calculated/generated according to the algorithm and are different. One of the values, depending on how you are defining x and y, should come from the proposal distribution.

And pi(x) = the normal distribution probability of x, for your particular example.

4. May 3, 2005 #3
    I see. I was hopeing I could find a "short cut" which would simplify the expression for pi(x), but I suppose I can't.
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?