Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Metropolis Monte Carlo Ising

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    I do not understand where are Markov chains in Monte Carlo Ising simulation. Going randomly from lattice site to lattice site one flip one spin calculates energy and goes ahaid. But where are Markov chain there? Could you please explain me this. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The lattice site after a flip has a probability distribution around the previous lattice site.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3
    What do you mean by "probability distribution around the previous lattice site"?

5. Oct 29, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The choice of the next lattice site is random. However it is defined in terms of a displacement from the current lattice site.

6. Nov 2, 2016 #5
    Thanks. Let me see if I understood you well. So you are now at site ##i## and you fliping spin at that moment. Probablility that after fliping spin will stay in that position depends only of that current position of all spins at the lattice and not of the path that we did before it. Lattice does not remember which spins are moved earlier.

7. Nov 2, 2016 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted