1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MeV related to Velocity ?

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    MeV related to Velocity ??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron beam from a 2.0 MeV Van De Graff enters at right angles to a uniform magnetic field of .05 weber/m^2. What is the radius of curvature of the path of the elctrons?

2. Relevant equations
    A couple of them. First off what the hell is a weber... after taking 3 years of physics in college this is my first encounter with such a unit. But more importantly... how do i convert MeV into Velocity?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know

qv x B = (Mv^2)/r

I tried converting MeV into joules and then plugging it into the Kinetic energy equation .. no go.. i started getting velocities much bigger than the speed of light. Any help is appreciated, as this also is used in the next problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

The weber is a unit of magnetic flux, equal to one telsa-meter^2. See

You need to use a relativistic formula to get the velocity, [itex]E=\gamma mc^2[/itex], with [itex]\gamma=(1-\beta^2)^{-1/2}[/itex] and [itex]\beta=v/c[/itex]. For the electron, [itex]mc^2=0.511\,\rm MeV[/itex]. (This is how particle physicists always quote particle masses, by the rest energy [itex]mc^2[/itex]; it's much more convenient than converting everything to MKS units.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?