1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MGF and moments

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the MGF and all the moments for [itex]X\sim N(0,1)[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

For the MGF, I have:

[tex]M_X(s)=\displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{sx}\frac{e^{x^2/2}}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\,dx = \ldots=e^{s^2/2}[/tex]

Next I found that:
    [tex]M'_X(0)=E[X]=0[/tex]
    [tex]M''_X(0)=E[X^2]=1[/tex]
    [tex]E[X^3]=0[/tex]
    [tex]E[X^4]=3[/tex]
    [tex]\ldots[/tex]
    [tex]E[X^{ODD}]=\{0\}[/tex]
    [tex]E[X^{EVEN}]=\{1,3,15,105,945,\ldots\}[/tex]
    Is it enough to write:
    [tex]E[X^k]=M_X^{(k)}(0)=\frac{d^k}{ds^k}e^{s^2/2}[/tex]

Am I totally off track here? How would I prove this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks OK to me. How to prove it...it is a general property of Moment Generating Functions and the reason they are called that. If$$
    M(s) = E(e^{sx}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{sx}f(x)\, dx$$and you differentiate with respect to s you get:$$
    M'(s) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xe^{sx}f(x)\, dx$$If you evaluate that at ##s=0## you get$$
    M'(0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xf(x)\, dx = E(X)$$Each time you differentiate with respect to ##s## you get another ##x## out in front giving you the next moment.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your MGF formula is seriously wrong: you need [itex] e^{-x^2/2}[/itex] in the integrand, not your [itex] e^{x^2/2}.[/itex] However, your result
    [tex]M_X(s) = e^{s^2/2} [/tex] is correct, as are your subsequent results.

As for how to prove it: just use standard theorems about differentiation under the integral sign. The normal density goes to 0 quickly enough for large |x| that you will not have any problems meeting the hypotheses of the required theorems.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook