1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MGF of chi square

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    rvX has [tex] f(x) = \alpha \exp^{-\alpha x} , and \ W = 2n \alpha \overline {X}[/tex] defines a random sample from the distribution.
    Use moment generating function techniques to show that the distribution of W is chi-square on 2n degrees of freedom.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Well......
    Ive let [tex] \alpha = \frac {1}{\beta}[/tex], then [tex]f(x)[/tex] ~ [tex] exp(\beta)[/tex]
    [tex]M_x(t) = (1 - \beta t)^{-1}[/tex]
    mgf of W with w~chisquare(2n)
    [tex] M_w(t) = (1 - 2t)^{-2v} [/tex]

I don't really know what to do after this. Any help appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

I'll use [tex] T [/tex] for the statistic of interest.

[tex]
    T = 2n\alpha \overline X = 2 \alpha \sum_{i=1}^n X_i
    [/tex]

You know the m.g.f. of each [tex] X_i [/tex] (they are iid). When you begin to calculate

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{st} \, dt = E[e^{st}]
    [/tex]

remember that [tex] t [/tex] is a sum, and use properties of exponents and expected values. You should wind up with a product that will lead you to the answer. (This all relies on the fact that the moment-generating function uniquely identifies the [tex] \chi^2 [/tex] distribution.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?