Calculating MI of a Uniform Rod: Understanding Differences in Axis Placement

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the perpendicular axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of a thin rod. There is confusion about the interpretation of the letter "r" and the applicability of the theorem to nonsymmetric situations. The moment of inertia is described as a tensor for general objects, but can be represented by a scalar when rotated about a principal axis. The theorem only applies to planar objects, such as a thin disk or sheet of metal. Further clarification and understanding of the theorem is recommended.
i.mehrzad
If i take a long rod and calculate the MI about an axis running through the rod the MI when i take the origin as the center of the rod as origin is 1/6mr^2(i.e.1/12+1/12 with the held of perpendicular axis theorem). If i take the MI about the axis keeping the origin at the end of the rod the value becomes 1/3+1/3 i.e. 2/3.
Isn't the MI about the axis through the cylinder supposed to be the same because i cannot imagine any difference in the motion of the rod.
But there is supposed to be some difference? Where is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you are applying the perpendicular axis theorem to a thin rod (I assume you mean a cylinder). I assume that r is the radius of the cylinder's cross-section, not its length.

If you apply the perpendicular axis theorem to a disk (I = 0.5mr^2, perpendicular to its center), then you can deduce that I = 0.25mr^2 about a diameter. To apply that to a rod you'll have to integrate along the length (and also use the parallel axis theorem).

I think there is a misinterpretation of the letter r. I meant 1/12ml^2 etc. So the r of the previous note is my way of writing l

I still don't understand how you are applying the perpendicular axis theorem to the rod. What makes you think you can do that? (For one thing, the perpendicular axis theorem only directly applies to planar objects.)

Also, what do you think the rotational inertia of a thin rod is about an axis running through the rod?

I am sorry i could not present my problem very well. But is this statement correct. The Perpendicular axis theorem is not applicable in unsymmetrical situations.
And secondly is MI a vector scalar or what?

What do you mean by planar objects i have not understood?

i.mehrzad said:
But is this statement correct. The Perpendicular axis theorem is not applicable in unsymmetrical situations.
I would say that is not true: the theorem can be applied to nonsymmetric mass distributions--but they need to be planar (flat).
And secondly is MI a vector scalar or what?
In general, an object is characterized by a moment of inertia tensor, but if you rotate it about a principal axis then the moment of inertia can be described by a scalar. (Check your mechanics text for more on this.)

i.mehrzad said:
What do you mean by planar objects i have not understood?
A planar object is one that is flat--like a piece of sheet metal. (planar = like a plane) A thin disk would be an example of a planar object.

I think you need a better understanding of the perpendicular axis theorem. Here's a good start: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/perpx.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the moment of inertia (MI) of a uniform rod?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by determining the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the MI of a uniform rod?

The MI of a uniform rod can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

3. What is the significance of axis placement in calculating MI?

The position of the axis of rotation greatly affects the calculation of the moment of inertia. The closer the axis is to the center of mass of the rod, the lower the moment of inertia will be, and vice versa.

4. How does the MI differ for different axis placements?

If the axis of rotation is placed at the center of mass of the rod, the moment of inertia will be at its lowest value. However, if the axis is placed at one end of the rod, the moment of inertia will be at its highest value. The MI will also vary depending on the position of the axis along the length of the rod.

5. What factors can affect the MI of a uniform rod?

The MI of a uniform rod can be affected by various factors such as the mass, length, and shape of the rod, as well as the position and orientation of the axis of rotation. The distribution of mass along the length of the rod also plays a significant role in determining the MI.