Mice can 'foretell earthquakes'[?]: BBC

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Japanese researchers have discovered that mice exhibit strange behavior after being exposed to electric and magnetic fields similar to those detected before earthquakes. It is speculated that this sense of detecting magnetic fields may have evolved in other creatures such as birds and possibly even cats. The observation of dogs and snakes also acting differently before an earthquake supports this theory.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Japanese researchers have observed mice behaving strangely after being exposed to electric and magnetic fields similar to those sometimes detected before earthquakes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3030780.stm

Note: Though implied as a geology related story, this seemed best posted in biology.

Biology news on Phys.org
Seems interesting. It is widely acknowledged that birds, and to an extent even humans can sense magnetic fields. Wonder if this sense evolved in some other creatures as well...

I feed a stray cat and a few weeks
ago it started acting hostile tow-
ard me, hissing and cowering when
I filled it's dish.

I was telling this to a woman at
a cafe and said I wondered if it
was being zapped with pre-quake
signals.

The guy at the next table spoke
up and told the story of how his
dogs had gone bannanas on him
one day, running around and
barking, when an earthquake struck
a few minutes later.

There's been no quake here, and
the cat is still hissing at me.
Is it my breath?

dun other animals like dogs and snakes get cagey as well when a earthquake is imminent?

1. How can mice predict earthquakes?

According to the BBC article, mice have an acute sense of hearing and can detect high-frequency sounds that occur before an earthquake. These sounds are thought to be created by the movement of tectonic plates.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support this claim?

While there have been some studies that suggest animals may have the ability to sense earthquakes before they happen, there is currently no solid scientific evidence to support the claim that mice can predict earthquakes.

3. What other animals have been studied for their potential to predict earthquakes?

Some other animals that have been studied for their potential to predict earthquakes include dogs, cats, fish, and birds. However, there is still a lack of conclusive evidence to support this theory.

4. Can mice be used as a reliable warning system for earthquakes?

At this time, there is not enough evidence to suggest that mice can be used as a reliable warning system for earthquakes. It is important to continue studying and researching this phenomenon to determine its validity.

5. How does this potential ability of mice to predict earthquakes benefit humans?

If further research can confirm that mice are able to predict earthquakes, it could potentially benefit humans by providing an early warning system for seismic activity. This could give people more time to evacuate and seek safety before an earthquake strikes.