• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
'Jurassic Park' author, 'ER' creator Crichton dies :frown:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/11/05/obit.crichton/index.html
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Michael Crichton, who helped create the TV show "ER" and wrote the best-sellers "Jurassic Park," "The Andromeda Strain," "Sphere" and "Rising Sun," has died in Los Angeles, his public relations firm said in a news release.

Crichton died unexpectedly Tuesday "after a courageous and private battle against cancer," the release said.

He was 66.

Crichton, a medical doctor, was attracted to cautionary science tales.

. . . .
The Andromeda Strain was the first Crichton book I read as a kid.

Answers and Replies

that's a bummer, he wasn't even old, yet

His book Timeline sucked, but in it he talks about the two slit experiment. I got interested in that so I went online and looked up physics and found physics forums. So if you want to blame anyone blame him.

"Sphere" was good

WHAT? no....thats a huge bummer for Sci Fi, etc.

WHAT? no....thats a huge bummer for Sci Fi, etc.

Yea, Arthur C. Clarke, and Kurt Vonnegut went recently.

I know...just hoping Bradbury doesn't go next...

Damn... That's too bad.

I read his last book Next about genetic engineering and gene therapy. I wonder if he researched all the material in the book due to his own health problems.

Very interesting criticism of Environmentalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
I just got home from my pool match, put on the CTV news, and the first thing that came on was the notification of his death. I can't say that he was a great man, or otherwise praise something that I know nothing about, but he was a great writer. As with Astro, I read 'The Andromeda Strain' when I was still a child. I think that it came out about the same time as 'Binary' and 'Zero Cool', which I also have... but the intelligence and scientific believability behind his stories set him apart. He will be missed.

That's very sad. A truly great mind not only for SF or ER. Much of his work will only be appreciated in a decade or two.

I enjoyed his work very much. Sad to hear that he passed. Funny, I had no idea that he was a medical doctor.