1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michael Crichton, RIP

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

'Jurassic Park' author, 'ER' creator Crichton dies :frown:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/11/05/obit.crichton/index.html
    The Andromeda Strain was the first Crichton book I read as a kid.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2
    that's a bummer, he wasn't even old, yet

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    His book Timeline sucked, but in it he talks about the two slit experiment. I got interested in that so I went online and looked up physics and found physics forums. So if you want to blame anyone blame him.

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    "Sphere" was good

6. Nov 5, 2008 #5
    WHAT? no....thats a huge bummer for Sci Fi, etc.

7. Nov 5, 2008 #6
    Yea, Arthur C. Clarke, and Kurt Vonnegut went recently.

8. Nov 5, 2008 #7
    I know...just hoping Bradbury doesn't go next...

9. Nov 6, 2008 #8
    Damn... That's too bad.

I read his last book Next about genetic engineering and gene therapy. I wonder if he researched all the material in the book due to his own health problems.

10. Nov 6, 2008 #9
    oh man, terrible news. damn cancer! We need a cure now!

11. Nov 6, 2008 #10
    Very interesting criticism of Environmentalism.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Nov 6, 2008 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I just got home from my pool match, put on the CTV news, and the first thing that came on was the notification of his death. I can't say that he was a great man, or otherwise praise something that I know nothing about, but he was a great writer. As with Astro, I read 'The Andromeda Strain' when I was still a child. I think that it came out about the same time as 'Binary' and 'Zero Cool', which I also have... but the intelligence and scientific believability behind his stories set him apart. He will be missed.

13. Nov 6, 2008 #12
    That's very sad. A truly great mind not only for SF or ER. Much of his work will only be appreciated in a decade or two.

14. Nov 6, 2008 #13
    I enjoyed his work very much. Sad to hear that he passed. Funny, I had no idea that he was a medical doctor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?