Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michael Jackson Converts to Islam

1. Dec 20, 2003 #1
    Report: Jackson
    converts to Islam
    Paper says pop star joined Louis Farrakhan's flock last night

Posted: December 18, 2003
    9:16 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Last night, on the eve of child-molestation charges being filed against him, Michael Jackson converted to Islam, reports the New York Post.

According to the paper, the pop star became a member of Louis Farrakhan's Nation of Islam, and the conversion came with a shakeup in his personal staff.

Complete text at http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36207
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His brother converted to the same group many years ago..
  4. Dec 20, 2003 #3

I am struggling to comprehend why anyone would even microscopically care.

Evidence of degradation of today's media?
  5. Dec 20, 2003 #4
    I didn't read anything but the title, not interested. What comes to mind is people seemingly getting closer to god after they get into trouble.
  6. Dec 20, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, it was actually before he was arrested.
  7. Dec 20, 2003 #6
    All this means to me is that now he's an islamic gay pedophiliac. The evidence is there, it's pretty damning. But I wont be suprised if he gets off with just a slap on the wrist. Another OJ trial will ensue.
  8. Dec 20, 2003 #7
    Thanks, my error. My first uneducated guess would have perhaps been more plausible if he were currently in confinement.
  9. Dec 21, 2003 #8
    I have nothing against Muslims, I just thought it was an interesting story. Actually, I don't care for any theology, since I am an agnostic.
  10. Dec 21, 2003 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It should be pointed out that the Nation of Islam are not accepted as Muslims by Islamic relgious authorities due to the fact that they reject some of the pillars of Islam and preach racism.
  11. Dec 21, 2003 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i hope PF doesn't turn into the national enquirer...
  12. Dec 21, 2003 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe WE will one day end up on the National Inquirer :wink:
  13. Dec 21, 2003 #12
    i didn't realize they accepted white people.
  14. Dec 21, 2003 #13

Staff: Mentor

Michael who? [zz)]
  15. Dec 22, 2003 #14
    It's a very big deal here in America since we are very anti-Muslim. Strange I think, since American Muslims are a lot more integrated due to societal pressure when compared to Europe. but as I said, I have a strong aversion to any theology.
  16. Dec 22, 2003 #15
    I wonder if the average American equates the Nation of Islam to the Orthodox Muslims.
    I wonder how many even know there IS a distinction.

I imagine they know that there are a bunch of black guys that started wearing woven skull caps and calling the white man "devil" when they were in jail (further confusing the Muslims and the Nation of Islam with the Five Percenters) other than that, I wonder if they group those converted black guys with the picture they have of the Muslims that crashed into the World Trade Center and how that may differ from the Muslim that own their local conveneince store.

Aren't ignorance, propaganda and pop-culture a wonderful mix?

By the way, more on the subject...
    I think at least Mike would be better off with the Nation of Islam than with Jehova's Witnesses (I wonder if he is going to reject his given name now and change it to Muhammed Somethingorother).
  17. Dec 22, 2003 #16
    He rejected his given face, I doubt he'd hesitate at changing his name.

I just hope he is not intending to turn his case into a racial issue by joining the Nation of Islam. I think that they are a well disciplined group and may be able to help bring his life under control. I hope so. He had a lot to offer.
  18. Dec 22, 2003 #17
    for no reason at all i just wanna say im a muslim here
    so you all know
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?