Is Michael Schumacher the Greatest F1 Driver of All Time?

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary, Schumi is retiring after this season. He is a fantastic racing driver and has broken every F1 record there is. He is also well-known for his dirty tricks. He will be replaced by Kimi Hakkinen next season.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Just heard that schumi is going to retire at the end of this season. What a fantastic racing driver he is. He's broken every F1 record there is. I've got fond memories watching schumi battle it out with mika hakkinen.

Go on Schumi, destroy Alonso and win the championship for the 8th time before you retire!

Physics news on Phys.org
Schumacher, Agassi, Zidane...Lately some of the greatest sports stars ever leave the scene. Sad, but then again, some new exciting talent is waiting to break through...

marlon

and dammit Justine lost the US OPEN final. But, i must say, Maria was just the better player.

I hope that Federer beats Roddick tonight.

marlon

marlon said:
I hope that Federer beats Roddick tonight.

Not going to happen, Roddick is back!

The only way Schumacher will beat Alonso is if he plays all his dirty tricks on him as he has been doing for the past couple of months.

marlon said:
Schumacher, Agassi, Zidane...Lately some of the greatest sports stars ever leave the scene. Sad, but then again, some new exciting talent is waiting to break through...

marlon
But not everyone does a head butt before they retire. :rolleyes: Kimi will be taking Schumi's seat at Ferrari next season. Ever since I started watching F1, I've been an Mika/Mclaren fan, now of course, it's Kimi/Mclaren. Yes, they don't have a very reliable car, but still I didn't want to join the worldwide tifosi just because Ferrari was THE best.:tongue2:

yipeeeee
I have no respect for him, he came when his team were on top, and his team used every trick in the book including politics to gain an advantage, if you put any of the top drivers in that car they would equal him, ferrari are the most unsportsman like team ever to exist, f1 is corrupt, and i hope we never see a repeat of such a sleazy team.

wolram said:
yipeeeee
I have no respect for him, he came when his team were on top, and his team used every trick in the book including politics to gain an advantage, if you put any of the top drivers in that car they would equal him, ferrari are the most unsportsman like team ever to exist, f1 is corrupt, and i hope we never see a repeat of such a sleazy team.

:approve:

Well I don't mind the ferrari team, but I couldn't stand Schumacher.. Not 1 bit

wolram said:
yipeeeee
Not entirely true. Ferrari were floundering in the mid-ninties and he (schumacher) and other technical staff have turned the team into what it is today. I don't like the guy but I acknowledge these feats and his domination of the statistics. At the time in the mid-ninties Williams Renault were the top team and he could have easily gone there but he took the tough decision to go with the team he loved and he did it well.

Kurdt said:
Not entirely true. Ferrari were floundering in the mid-ninties and he (schumacher) and other technical staff have turned the team into what it is today. I don't like the guy but I acknowledge these feats and his domination of the statistics. At the time in the mid-ninties Williams Renault were the top team and he could have easily gone there but he took the tough decision to go with the team he loved and he did it well.

Well by hook or by crook, i think f1 is polititcal and sleazy, no way should Alonzo have be given a penallty, if this form of governing f1 is carried on then it is a waste of time to have a race , the outcome will be decided by the courts or stewards.

Oh it is very. I am a huge F1 fan but the events of this season have confirmed the ridiculousness of the politics in F1 and it would be fair to say Schumacher is the guy pulling all the strings. A few races ago Renault (Schumachers main rival) were banned from using a component they'd used for over 20 races all of a sudden. Then Alonso was penalised in todays race for an infringement that most people say did not occur. He was also penalised in Hungary for dangerous driving. I did not see the incident so i have no place to comment but it does seem strange that Schumachers main rival is getting all the penalties.

LeBrad said:
Not going to happen, Roddick is back!
Yeah Right...Ok, i must admit that Roddick achieved a great comeback but he is not good enough to beat the Swiss-magician...

Ok, the match is just done, and although one should give Roddick credit for the second and third set, when Federer most needs it, he comes up with the big shots...

marlon

wolram said:
yipeeeee
You do realize that Schumacher became world champion with Benetton as well, don't you ? That certainly was NOT a top team back then.

Hey, but i don't want to defend the F1-sports because i think it is just a waste of gasoline and an unnecessary production of CO2...

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
You do realize that Schumacher became world champion with Benetton as well, don't you ? That certainly was NOT a top team back then.

marlon

Benetton were a very good team once they hooked up with Renault to provide them with the engines. It was only after Renault pulled from formula one that benetton and Williams really fell back down the field. of course he won his first with Benetton and the ford cosworth engine. but only after crashing into damon hill in the last race when hill was overtaking him. he did it 2 years later to Jacques Villeneuve but was disqualified for that. but they were consistently number two or number three constructors in the years schumacher was there and even won the constructors championship in 1995.

I'm not going to defend Schumacher's actions, but the case with Villeneuve wasn't that bad. He did definitely knock into him, but it wasn't as bad as the Damon Hill incident. Schumacher had the racing line and Villeneuve's move was like Damon Hill in 1995 when he took out Schumacher doing a similar move. I thought it was an unfair decision to ban him and a lot of prominent figures in the racing world were divided on the disqualification decision. He is an aggressive driver and won't give up a place easily, but I don't think he's as devious as people think. The 1994 Adelaide incident with Damon Hill was crap, but I still don't think it was as malicious as people have said. It was entirely his fault and he shouldn't have done it, but that's how a lot of people would handle the situation.

The Alonso penalty was a load of crap and I can't believe Massa and Ferrari pushed for the penalty. However, if any major team pushed for that penalty they would have got it so I don't think Ferrari secretly controls everything.

Ferrari were rubbish until they were revamped just after the mid 90s. They have never 'used every trick in the book' to get what they wanted. The rules are generally fair and don't support one team because of their 'muscle'. If you can tell me any tricks that (excluding constructional tricks that every team tries) they've used in terms of using their standing and 'political' strength then I will be suprised.

The rules in Formual 1 in general have been terrible, but hopefully they will change them when Bernie pisses off.

The reason why schumacher went to Ferrari was because of his love of money not ferrari. In his first few seasons with ferrari he was good but no better than anyone else in the field. Give him the best car and of course he is going to win. Look how quick barrichello was when he was at ferrari compared to how quick he is with honda. There is only one reason for his lack of race pace and that is down to the car underneath him. Last season the ferrari was nowhere near as quick as the mclaren or renault and guess what, schumacher did bugger all.

Andy said:
The reason why schumacher went to Ferrari was because of his love of money not ferrari. In his first few seasons with ferrari he was good but no better than anyone else in the field. Give him the best car and of course he is going to win. Look how quick barrichello was when he was at ferrari compared to how quick he is with honda. There is only one reason for his lack of race pace and that is down to the car underneath him. Last season the ferrari was nowhere near as quick as the mclaren or renault and guess what, schumacher did bugger all.

he however did manage to get some good races in with a floundering car

i mena look at barrichello last year! At least michael ws scoring some points.. Barrichello was just... not there

Schumacher is a great driver
but a poor sportsman

Ferrari builds great cars
but cheats to win with offical help from Max's FIA
ie mass dampers mid year rule change
flex wings, brake ducts, and other rule streaching tricks

Bernie maded billions
but killed the sport
now like nastycar it is about the show

1. What is the reason behind Michael Schumacher's retirement?

Michael Schumacher retired from Formula One racing in 2012 due to his age and declining performance. He was 43 years old at the time and had been experiencing several setbacks in his races.

2. How many years did Michael Schumacher compete in Formula One?

Michael Schumacher competed in Formula One for 19 seasons, from 1991 to 2006 and then from 2010 to 2012.

3. What are some of Michael Schumacher's career highlights?

Michael Schumacher is considered one of the greatest Formula One drivers of all time, with a record seven World Championship titles and 91 Grand Prix wins. He also holds the record for the most pole positions and fastest laps in Formula One history.

4. Did Michael Schumacher retire completely from racing?

Yes, Michael Schumacher retired from Formula One racing in 2012 and has not returned to competitive racing since then. However, he has participated in some exhibition races and has also been involved in developing and testing cars for Ferrari.

5. What has Michael Schumacher been doing since his retirement?

Since his retirement, Michael Schumacher has mainly focused on his personal life and family. He has also been involved in charitable work and has supported various causes, including road safety and animal welfare.