1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michaelson Interferometer and changing length of glass rod

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The index of refraction of a glass rod is 1.48 at T=20°C and varies linearly with temperature, with a coefficient of 2.5 E -5 °C-1. The coefficient of linear expansion of the glass is 5 E -6 °C-1. At 20.0°C the length of the rod is 3.00 cm. A Michelson interferometer has this glass rod in one arm, and the rod is being heated so that its temperature increases at a rate of 5.00 °C/min. The light source has wavelength λ = 599nm, and the rod initially is at 20°C.

How many fringes cross the field of view each minute?

2. Relevant equations

y = [itex]\frac{mλ}{2}[/itex]
    Where y is the change in distance.
    m is the number of fringes.
    λ is the wavelength
    (just for simplicity)
    α = 5 E -6 °C-1
    β = 2.5 E -5 °C-1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted this problem several times. I had gotten it correct once before, but can't seem to do it this time (practicing it for my upcoming final).
    First, I find the change in distance. 5α since the temperture rises by 5°C in one minute.
    Now, the change in the index of refraction: 5β.
    Since the equation deals with the change in distance rather than the total distance, we plug in to the original equation.

(5α) = .5m(λ/(n*5β) or, solving for m
    m = [itex]\frac{2*5α cm*1.48*5β}{599nm}[/itex]
    Make the units equal, and the answer is wrong.

So I repeated my steps, this time setting the temperture to 25°C. No dice.
    Tried multiplying the length to 5α and both methods (°C = 5 and 25). But Nope.avi

The answer should be around 14 I believe. Some guidance and explanation would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted