Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michealson Morely and the Aether

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson–Morley_experiment

With the discovery that some sub-atomic particles travel faster than light, does that change the way that this experiments interpretation might be regarded?

Perhaps Special Relativity is for electromagnetic measurements and instruments, while General Relativity is compatible with everything?

I am asking because I don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    There has been no such discovery. One team claims they have seen it in an experiment, but this has not been confirmed. Even the team that made this claim is asking others to repeat the experiment.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    Yes... Sorry bad choice of words.

If it is confirmed, and that is why asked this in skepticism and debunking to avoid upsetting people.

Would Special Relativity still be entirely valid if is was applied to Electromagnetic energy only? I think would be valid.

That is why I am wondering if perhaps this Aether concept is more valid if perhaps it does not use electromagnetic energy as a means for measurement, but perhaps sub-atomic particles sit inside an Aether?

I am asking because I don't know.

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is also a physics question and should not have been posted in the S&D forum.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook