Michelson interferometer and Doppler effect

Expert summarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a Michelson interferometer and the Doppler effect. The apparatus is set up with one moving arm and a microwave is transmitted and received. The fringe distance is equal to one wavelength and the equation for calculating velocity is V = (1/Pi*f)*arccos(E). To obtain the value for E, the equation E(measured) = Cos(2*Pi*f*m*v/2) must be used. Additionally, counting the number of fringes can help calculate the distance traveled and thus the velocity.
Kromboy85

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm working on an experiment that involves a Michelson interferometer and doppler effect.
Here is the description of the apparatus.

Michelson interferometer is set up with one moving arm and microwave is transmitted and received.

With the beam splitter splitting 50/50 I then move the moving arm on a frictionless surface at a constant velocity. I am tracking the velocity of the moving arm and this will be the control value to which I'll compare my experimental value.

On the oscilloscope, I can see the peaks in the microwave intensity and can then find the fringe distance which I believe would simply equal wavelength? Or is it 2 wavelengths?

Homework Equations

E(measured) = Cos(2*Pi*f*m*v/2). M is an integer, negative or positive. I dropped the variable thinking it'll be a 1 or -1

I simplify the equation down to E(measured) = Cos(Pi*f*v)
Which I again simplify to get the velocity V = (1/Pi*f)*arccos(E)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the values I have so far.

I have the voltage reading from the receiver which I can deduce the distance and time between peaks from. But the voltage themselves do not hold any meaning since the receiver was amplified.

For the velocity equation so that I can independently calculate velocity and compare to the value earlier:

V = (1/Pi*f)*arccos(E)
I have the Pi, and the frequency. But I cannot find E for my life.
I've been trying for 3 hours and I just don't get it.

Am I lacking data to be able to figure out E? Or is it even necessary? I'm using a microwave source, I don't even know why electric field would be used in Michelson interferometer.

If anyone has any idea how I would obtain E with the above data that I have, please let me know.**** Update!

So there is this phrase "where v is the speed of the cart, so you can see fringes on the oscilloscope. The measured
(average) field is a maximum every time Δ= 2mπ , where m is an integer (positive or negative).
How can you measure velocity by counting fringes?"

I think that is supposed to be a hint. But I'm having trouble making sense of that. How exactly would I use the number of fringes I have to measure velocity?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!
Thank you for sharing your experiment and questions with us. It sounds like you are conducting an interesting study on the Michelson interferometer and the Doppler effect. Let me try to address your questions and provide some guidance.

Firstly, regarding the fringe distance, it is indeed equal to one wavelength. This is because the Michelson interferometer relies on the interference of two light waves, one reflected from the moving arm and one reflected from the stationary arm. As the moving arm travels a distance equal to one wavelength, it will cause a phase difference of one wavelength between the two waves, resulting in a fringe on the oscilloscope.

Regarding your attempt at a solution, it seems like you are on the right track. The equation you have derived is correct for calculating the velocity. However, to obtain the electric field (E) value, you will need to use the equation you mentioned: E(measured) = Cos(2*Pi*f*m*v/2). This equation takes into account the interference of the two light waves and the velocity of the moving arm. So, by measuring the distance and time between peaks on the oscilloscope, you can calculate the velocity and then use it in this equation to obtain the E value.

As for the phrase "where v is the speed of the cart, so you can see fringes on the oscilloscope. The measured (average) field is a maximum every time Δ= 2mπ , where m is an integer (positive or negative). How can you measure velocity by counting fringes?", it is indeed a hint. By counting the number of fringes that pass through the oscilloscope, you can calculate the distance traveled by the moving arm (since each fringe corresponds to one wavelength). And by dividing this distance by the time between peaks, you can calculate the velocity.

I hope this helps clarify some points and gives you a better understanding of the experiment. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is a Michelson interferometer?

A Michelson interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small changes in the wavelength of light. It works by splitting a beam of light into two paths and then recombining them to create an interference pattern, allowing for precise measurements of wavelength differences.

2. How does a Michelson interferometer work?

A Michelson interferometer works by using a beam splitter to divide a beam of light into two paths. One path is directed to a fixed mirror, while the other is directed to a movable mirror. The light beams are then reflected back and recombined at the beam splitter, producing an interference pattern that can be measured and analyzed to determine wavelength changes.

3. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where the perceived frequency of a wave changes when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer. This effect is commonly observed with sound waves, such as the change in pitch of a siren as a police car passes by, but it also applies to light waves.

4. How does the Doppler effect relate to a Michelson interferometer?

In a Michelson interferometer, the Doppler effect can be used to measure the velocity of an object by analyzing the changes in the interference pattern. As the object moves, the wavelength of the light reflecting off of it will change, causing a corresponding change in the interference pattern that can be measured and used to calculate its velocity.

5. What are the practical applications of a Michelson interferometer and the Doppler effect?

The Michelson interferometer and Doppler effect have many practical applications, including in astronomy for measuring the velocities of celestial objects, in geology for studying plate tectonics, and in medicine for measuring blood flow. They are also used in various industries for precision measurements and in scientific research for studying the behavior of waves and objects in motion.