Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michelson Interferometer

1. Jun 18, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I've made a Michelson Interferometer with 635 HeNe, and I get nice, contrasty fringes. I have one problem - I cannot get the bright spot in the middle to turn dark! The intensity it has is like bright and brighter, but never dark. Any ideas why? The intensity of the two beams are approximately equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

If you really want the dark places to be completely dark, then you must have exactly the same intensity for the two beams that combine. Are you using a compensator plate to even out the loss that one of the beams encounters through the splitter? Is your splitter 50-50? What is the tolerance of the splitter's ratio?
  4. Jun 18, 2004 #3
    What I find strange is that my rings have extremely good bright/dark contrast, and this problem of bright/brighter only occurs at the central spot.

I am using a cubic beam splitter, and have measured the power intensities of the two beams to be almost identical (.30 mW and .33 mW)
  5. Jun 20, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?