How Many Fringes Shift in a Michelson Interferometer When Air is Evacuated?

In summary, the problem asks for the difference in the number of wavelengths that fit in a 15 cm path with and without air in a Michelson interferometer. The wavelength given is 5,000 Angstoms and the refractive index for air is 1.00029. By using a refraction formula and considering the round trip path of the light, the difference is found to be 87.
Skye77
Here's my problem:
One of the arms of Michelson interferometer without the compensator consists of a cell 7.5 cm long. How many fringes would be observed shifting if all the air were evacuated from the cell? Use nvac= 1, nair= 1.00029 and the source wavelength 5,000 Angstoms (1 Angstrom = 10-10m) *Please see attached diagram for clarification*

I'm so confused as to what my teacher is asking. He hasn't covered Michelson's experiment and it's not in my textbook.

Also, I was given a hint: The light will pass twice through the cell due to the round trip. The answer will be obtained by counting the number of wavelengths to fit into the path difference between with and without air paths.

This was all he gave me. English is not his first language, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the translation, but any direction in how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Michelson.jpg
    Michelson.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
A certain number of wavelengths will fit in the 15 cm when n = 1.00029.
A different number will fit in the 15 cm when n = 1 (no air).
You are asked for the difference between these two numbers.

The wavelength is given for air. Look for a refraction formula that you can use to calculate the wavelength when n = 1. The formula will have two n's and two λ's in it.

I'm still confused. :(

The wavelength is 5,000 Angstoms. How many of these fit in 15 cm?

It is like saying you have bricks 5 cm wide. How many will fit across your driveway which is 3 m wide?

Got it! Thanks so much for the help. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. The difference is 87. I was forgetting to multiply the results by 1.00029 for the cell. Once I did that I got 300,087 for number of wavelengths through the cell versus 300,000 for the number of wavelengths through air where n= 1.0.

What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small changes in the position of objects by splitting a beam of light into two paths and then recombining them to produce interference patterns.

How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

The Michelson Interferometer works by splitting a beam of light into two paths using a partially reflective mirror. The two beams then travel different distances before being recombined, causing an interference pattern that can be measured to determine small changes in position.

What are the applications of a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as optics, astronomy, and metrology. It is also used in engineering applications for precise measurements and in the development of technologies such as laser interferometry.

What are the advantages of using a Michelson Interferometer?

The main advantage of a Michelson Interferometer is its ability to measure small changes in position with high precision. It is also a relatively simple and inexpensive instrument compared to other measurement techniques, making it a popular choice in scientific research.

Are there any limitations to using a Michelson Interferometer?

While the Michelson Interferometer is a highly accurate instrument, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for measuring small changes in position and may not be suitable for larger-scale measurements. It also requires a stable environment and may be affected by external factors such as vibrations or temperature changes.