1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michelson interferometer

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    can someone explain to me the speed of light to the mirror and back from the mirror before reaching the telescope ?? please

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. Could you elaborate your question a bit more?

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3
    sorry i shoudl have elaborated more , i mean why the speed of light from the half painted mirror to one of the two mirrors is c-v and c+v from the mirror to the painted mirror??

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The speed of light in a vacuum is always c. Michelson and Morley erroneously thought that light would travel at c+v if it was moving in the same direction as the aether (which presumably travels at v), and c-v when moving in the opposite direction as the aether.

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    mmm i have read it you are right in everything but in the speed of c and ether c-v when angle between them is zero and c+v when they are opposite but thank you for all your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook