Michelson Morley Exp. Phase Difference Question

In summary, The conversation is about a problem that references a previous problem and example in a physics textbook. The problem involves calculating the speed of a light signal in a reference frame moving with uniform velocity V through the ether. The conversation also mentions a problem in section 1.6 that involves calculating the phase difference in a Michelson-Morley interferometer with one arm parallel to the ether wind and the other at an angle. The person is having trouble understanding how to solve this problem and seeks help online.
bphili

Homework Statement

The problem I am misunderstanding begins with a reference to a previous problem and example. Let me begin to ask my question by showing my work for the previous problem and describe the example in reference.

(reference problem) - Ch.1, #13.

Consider a reference frame moving with uniform velocity V through the ether. Show that according to the Galilean addition law, in this reference frame a light signal traveling at an angle θ' with the direction of V has a speed of

c'=√(c2-V2sin2θ')-Vcosθ'

Verify that this gives the expected result for a parallel light signal (θ'=0 deg.) and for a perpendicular light signal (θ'=90 deg.)

ANSWER:

(Vsinθ')2+(Vsin(π/2-θ')+c')2=c2

(Vsinθ')2+(Vcosθ'+c')2=c2

(Vcosθ'+c')2=c2-(Vsinθ')2

Vcosθ'+c'=√(c2-(Vsinθ'))

c'=√(c2-Vsinθ')-Vcosθ'

when that θ'=0 when c'=c-v', when θ'=90 c'=√(c^2-V^2)

My Problem:

Ch.1, #18)

In section 1.6 we calcualted the phase difference between the two beams of light in the Michelson-Morley interferometer on the assumption that one arm was parallel to the ether wind and the other was perpendicular. Repeat the calculation of the phase difference if one of the arms makes an angle 90 deg. with the ether wind and the other an angle 90 deg. + θ, as in fig.1.20.(Hint: use the result of problem 13, and assume V<<c.)

Thanks and I'm online because it hard to explain this without the book...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to solve this problem, I have read and re-read the section and problem 13, trying to gain an understanding but I don't think I understand it enough to answer this question.

1. What is the Michelson Morley Experiment?

The Michelson Morley Experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century by Albert Michelson and Edward Morley. It aimed to measure the speed of light in different directions to determine whether the Earth's motion through the hypothetical "ether" affected the speed of light.

2. How did the Michelson Morley Experiment work?

The experiment involved splitting a beam of light into two perpendicular paths using mirrors, and then recombining them to create an interference pattern. If the speed of light was affected by Earth's motion through the ether, the interference pattern would shift. However, the experiment found no significant difference, leading to the conclusion that the ether did not exist.

3. What is the significance of the Michelson Morley Experiment?

The Michelson Morley Experiment is significant because it provided evidence against the existence of the hypothetical "ether," which was a popular concept at the time. It also paved the way for Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

4. What is the phase difference in the Michelson Morley Experiment?

The phase difference in the Michelson Morley Experiment refers to the difference in the interference pattern created by the split and recombined light beams. This difference was expected to occur due to the Earth's motion through the ether, but the experiment found no significant difference.

5. Has the Michelson Morley Experiment been replicated?

Yes, the Michelson Morley Experiment has been replicated numerous times, with increasingly accurate equipment and techniques. These replications have consistently yielded the same results, further supporting the conclusion that the ether does not exist and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion.