Why Did the Michelson-Morley Experiment Expect Different Measures on Earth?

• Thread starter AlfreCabo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary: This is an interesting experiment, and agrees with the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment in that the speed of light is constant relative to the source.
AlfreCabo
I perfectly understand the concept of the experiment, but a small doubt is haunting me. For example, if I run on different distances at same speed, it does not matter what direction I run, my speed will always be the same, nothwithstanding if I am moving against or with the travel of the Earth through space. Evidently, if my speed was measured from outer space it would vary, it is normal galilean relativity.

I understand Michelson-Morley experiment, but they performed this experiment on earth, at a building in Cleveland, they did not measure the rays of light from a view outside earth, so why were they expecting different measures if they knew that this light was supposedly traveling with the earth? I could understand if the test was performed on Earth and someone from outer space took measures, but the fact that these measures were taken at Earth confuses me; I know they expected different measures, but I don't see how since their reference was on earth!

Probably is a very dumb question, as I am an only an attorney with interest in cosmology.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the time, virtually all scientists believed that light was a fluctuation in a stationary medium which they called the luminiferous ether and that as the surface of the Earth moved through this ether it would create a "wind" which they could measure. That was the purpose of MMX.

Do you understand how MMX would have worked if Galilean Relativity? For example, do you understand why the two roundtrip paths that the light took were at right-angles to each other, instead of some other angle like 180 degrees?

AlfreCabo said:
I perfectly understand the concept of the experiment, but a small doubt is haunting me. For example, if I run on different distances at same speed, it does not matter what direction I run, my speed will always be the same, nothwithstanding if I am moving against or with the travel of the Earth through space. Evidently, if my speed was measured from outer space it would vary, it is normal galilean relativity.

I understand Michelson-Morley experiment, but they performed this experiment on earth, at a building in Cleveland, they did not measure the rays of light from a view outside earth, so why were they expecting different measures if they knew that this light was supposedly traveling with the earth? [..]
Your question makes me wonder what it is that you "perfectly understand" ... perhaps you understand the concept of the method, but certainly not the concept behind it!

Light was assumed to be a wave in a stationary medium through which the Earth travels without friction. That is different from your example: if you walk on Earth in December or in June, your speed will be the same with respect to the road. In contrast, light was modeled as a wave, with a speed that is independent of the motion of the source; instead, the speed of light was assumed to be constant with respect to the ether. Consequently if by great coincidence the Earth would at some time be at rest in the ether, half a year later the Earth would be moving with a considerable speed due to its orbit around the Sun.

You can directly read the purpose of those experiments here:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Relative_Motion_of_the_Earth_and_the_Luminiferous_Ether

In that first paper Michelson makes a calculation error, but that doesn't matter for the concept.

PS. welcome to Physicsforums :smile:

AlfreCabo's question is perfectly valid. The idea that the velocity of light was constant relative to a luminiferous ether was not the only one proposed, and the Michelson-Morley experiment was not the end of the story.

An alternative suggestion was that the velocity of light was in fact constant relative to the source, and as AlfreCabo points out, the Michelson-Morley experiment does not rule this out, since source and detector were both at rest relative to the Earth.

A much later experiment (1964) to test this utilized a high energy beam of neutral pions which decayed into pairs of gamma rays. The speed of the gamma rays emitted forward was measured directly and found to agree with the speed of light emitted from stationary sources.

Likes OneAverageGuy
Bill_K said:
An alternative suggestion was that the velocity of light was in fact constant relative to the source, and as AlfreCabo points out, the Michelson-Morley experiment does not rule this out, since source and detector were both at rest relative to the Earth.
Don't you mean the source and detector were both at rest relative to each other? The Earth has nothing to do with the null result of the experiment if the speed of light were constant relative to the source which is at rest relative to the detector (since they are colocated).
Bill_K said:
A much later experiment (1964) to test this utilized a high energy beam of neutral pions which decayed into pairs of gamma rays. The speed of the gamma rays emitted forward was measured directly and found to agree with the speed of light emitted from stationary sources.
You make it sound like the one-way speed of the gamma rays was measured without regard to any previous synchronization of clocks. How does that work? Same thing for the speed of light. Do you have a reference for this experiment?

Last edited:
There's a general discussion of this idea on the Wikipedia page "Emission theory". The 1964 experiment is referred to there as "Alväger et al", and it's cited in a number of other places, but as far as I know the paper itself is not online.

Bill_K said:
[..] An alternative suggestion was that the velocity of light was in fact constant relative to the source, and as AlfreCabo points out, the Michelson-Morley experiment does not rule this out, since source and detector were both at rest relative to the Earth. [..]
Michelson's first paper on this topic (linked in post #3) clearly shows that those experiments had as purpose to measure the velocity relative to the ether; they were not meant to test for ballistic emission. That was not the experimental concept, as both ghwellsjr and I pointed out.

However, together with Morley he did test for the effect of moving media on the speed of light, here:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Influence_of_Motion_of_the_Medium_on_the_Velocity_of_Light

Although he did not mention it, those results in agreement with Fizeau are incompatible with plausible ballistic emission theories.

And in the first paragraph of his famous paper together with Morley he does mention emission theory but rejects it on grounds of other experiments:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Relative_Motion_of_the_Earth_and_the_Luminiferous_Ether

We're in complete agreement that although Michelson argued against it on other grounds, the Michelson-Morley experiment was not designed to test the emission theory, and was not capable of doing so.

The Fizeau experiment, as you mentioned, seemed to indicate it was false. However the velocity of water used in the Fizeau experiment was only 7 meters per second, whereas the Alväger experiment tested emission from pions which at 6 GeV were themselves moving at nearly the speed of light.

Likes OneAverageGuy
The Fizeau experiment, as you mentioned, seemed to indicate it was false. However the velocity of water used in the Fizeau experiment was only 7 meters per second, whereas the Alväger experiment tested emission from pions which at 6 GeV were themselves moving at nearly the speed of light.
Earlier you post.
So the speed of the gamma rays emitted foreward was lightspeed where as emissions from pions at 6 GeV were only moving at nearly the speed of light.
Have I got this right or missunderstood.

from pions which at 6 GeV were themselves moving at nearly the speed of light.
The 6 GeV pions themselves were moving at nearly the speed of light.

What is the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1887 by Albert A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley to measure the speed of light in different directions in order to detect the presence of a hypothetical "luminiferous ether" that was thought to be the medium through which light traveled.

Why was the Michelson-Morley experiment important?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was important because it provided evidence that the speed of light is constant, regardless of the direction in which it is measured. This contradicted the prevailing theory at the time, which stated that light must travel at different speeds in different directions if it was passing through an ether.

What were the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The results of the Michelson-Morley experiment showed no difference in the speed of light in different directions, indicating that there was no ether present. This was a significant finding that challenged the existing understanding of the nature of light and led to the development of Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

How was the Michelson-Morley experiment conducted?

The experiment involved splitting a beam of light and directing it along two perpendicular paths. The two beams were then recombined, and any interference between them was measured. If there was an ether present, the interference patterns would have shifted, but no such shifts were observed.

What impact did the Michelson-Morley experiment have on the scientific community?

The Michelson-Morley experiment had a significant impact on the scientific community, as it challenged the prevailing theories and led to the development of new concepts in physics. It also paved the way for further experiments that eventually led to the development of the theory of relativity and our current understanding of the nature of light.