Unraveling the Mystery of Rotation in the Michelson-Morley Experiment

• Thread starter genxhis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in understanding the rotation in the Michelson-Morley experiment and how it causes a fringe shift. It is expected that the fringes will shift back and forth as the apparatus is rotated, but this was not observed in the actual experiment. The use of a simulation helped in gaining a better understanding of the concept.
genxhis
I am having difficulty understanding the rotation in the michelson-morley experiment. I tried reading from several sources, but I think I am missing something each source regards as obvious. I can understand why the travel times involved in each light path must differ by T = Lv2/c3 (approximately). But I don't understand how rotating the apparatus by 90 degrees would change anything other than which path is labeled what. In particular I don't see how this causes a fringe shift.

Likes Manas Ranjan Pandit
Physics news on Phys.org
When arm A is parallel to the "ether wind", the fringe shift was expected to be in one direction; when arm A is perpendicular to the "ether wind", the fringe shift was expected to be in the opposite direction. And when arm A is at some intermediate angle, the fringe shift was expected to be somewhere in between; in particular, if the arms are at a 45-degree angle, there should have been zero fringe shift. So if you rotate the apparatus gradually, and watch the fringes as you go along, it was expected that the fringes would shift back and forth according to the angle of the arms of the interferometer with respect to the "ether wind."

But they didn't, of course... :eek:

Likes Manas Ranjan Pandit
Thanks. I understood it a bit better after reading what you said. It also gave me an idea. To make myself more confident, I made a quick simulation on Mathematica (using roughly real data) that had the fringes shifting back-and-forth by 0.37 cycles as the apparatus rotated.

1. What is the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The Michelson-Morley Experiment was a famous scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century to test the theory of the luminiferous ether, a hypothetical medium thought to be responsible for the propagation of light.

2. Who were the scientists involved in the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The experiment was conducted by Albert A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley, both physicists and professors at Case Western Reserve University.

3. How did the Michelson-Morley Experiment work?

The experiment involved splitting a beam of light into two perpendicular beams, which were then reflected back and recombined. If the Earth was moving through the ether, the two beams of light should have traveled at different speeds and created an interference pattern. However, the results showed no such pattern, leading to the conclusion that the ether did not exist.

4. What were the implications of the Michelson-Morley Experiment?

The results of the experiment were a major blow to the theory of the luminiferous ether and had a significant impact on the development of modern physics. It also provided evidence for Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

5. Why is the Michelson-Morley Experiment still important today?

The Michelson-Morley Experiment is still considered one of the most important and influential experiments in the history of science. Its results challenged long-held beliefs about the nature of light and paved the way for new theories and discoveries in physics. It also serves as a reminder of the importance of experimental evidence in shaping scientific understanding.