1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michelson Morley experiment

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    I'm a little confused about this.

I know how to derive the expression t≈lv2/c3 for the time difference between the arrival of the two beams due to the presence of an ether, with the earth moving at speed v through the ether, and l the distance between the beam splitter and each mirror. This can be done so by working in the ether frame or the interferometer frame.

Now, ultimately I want to find the expected phase shift if the ether were to exist. To do so I need a path difference from this time difference. My book says it is given by ct, i.e s≈lv2c2. I understand this in the ether frame, as the light travels at speed c. But in the interferometer frame, it doesn't have this speed, and so I don't understand whats going on there. I'm very confused. From this path difference, it's easy to get the phase difference.

Thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can't you assume the difference in reference frame speeds is small, so the difference in computed path differences is a second-order small quantity?

4. May 16, 2014 #3
    That would make sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted