1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mico Pic

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    What I need is that when a certain key (on a keypad) is pressed it would output a corresponding binary number. I have completed this with an HC11 in assembly language. My professor says that the HC11 is over kill and that a micro pic would do this for little money. I am new to micro pics and not sure how I would go about doing this. Which pic would be right for me? Is there a converter from Assembly to “whatever language” the pic uses? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    a standard 16 digit key pad will be used, and 4 bit output would be sufficient.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    The PIC microcontroller <spit> from Microchip uses, oddly enough, PIC assembler.

It has an architecture rather different from the HC11.

Microchip supply a free download of MPLAB (can be found on their site) which allows you to develop and simulate PIC programs.

PICs come in a wide & confusing variety of shapes & sizes, from the PIC12, through PIC16, PIC17, PIC18 and PIC24.

For your purposes one of the PIC16 range, such as the PIC16F88 would do the job, since it has a lot of peripherals, including a serial i/f.

So far as I'm aware, there's no utility for converting HC11 code to PIC16 code...

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply, is the PIC16 code simular to any other. i.e. C, C++... Also, is it hard to learn. I would need a parallel output. Would this PIC16F88 do this? anyother info would be great.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    I would go with the 18f series because they are on the way to obsoleting the 16f series and I suspect in the end are actually more inexpensive to buy. The Microchip compiler uses ANSI C I believe.

6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    Maybe I should have made it clearer: so far as I know there is no utility for converting HC11 assembler to PIC assembler.

PIC16F88 has a maximum of 16 i/o pins. You would have to determine if that is sufficient for your needs.

Otherwise use a PIC with more i/o, such as the PIC16F877.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?