Micro-organisms in the fridge

• Thread starter lostminty
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I'm looking into making a meter that gives an indication of bacterial load present in ones fridge.

Currently I am thinking a device that measures CO2 and alcohol levels once the fridge is in a steady state (ie the door not open for some amount of time).

I have a rough concept that CO2 = aerobic bacteria = non pathgenic food spoiling
and alcohol = anerobic = pathogenic

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Currently I am thinking a device that measures CO2 and alcohol levels once the fridge is in a steady state (ie the door not open for some amount of time).
This is your first obstacle. You might as well spend your time figuring out what happens to the little light in the fridge when the door is closed.

It turns off in my fridge. I can tell because it delay turns on when i open the door just a jar.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Great. Now figure out how to have a fridge without opening the door.

why would I do that?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Re-read your OP.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
When you set up an experiment you try to remove aspects of the system you cannot control. A closed cold box would work better to test what you describe.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a rough concept that CO2 = aerobic bacteria = non pathgenic food spoiling
and alcohol = anerobic = pathogenic
If your fridge contains half-empty yoghurt pots and/or wine bottles, that concept may need some more work.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for helping :)

So I see that a fridge is too dynamic to have measurable value. Perhaps some particular metabolite could be measurable, but then you have issues associated with scope.

Compartmentalised detection could do it, ie built into food containers. But electronics are not suited for such low end goods. Perhaps some type of sticker?

or maybe a cling film that changes colour