Can a CO2 and Alcohol Meter Detect Harmful Bacteria in a Fridge?

• Thread starter lostminty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fridge
In summary: CO2 and alcohol levelsIn summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a fridge meter that measures bacterial load, specifically CO2 and alcohol levels. The concept is that aerobic bacteria produce CO2 and are non-pathogenic while anaerobic bacteria produce alcohol and are pathogenic. However, there are obstacles in accurately measuring these levels due to the dynamic nature of a fridge and the difficulty in finding a suitable method of detection. Suggestions are made for using compartmentalized detection or cling film to measure the levels.
lostminty
Hi,

I'm looking into making a meter that gives an indication of bacterial load present in ones fridge.

Currently I am thinking a device that measures CO2 and alcohol levels once the fridge is in a steady state (ie the door not open for some amount of time).

I have a rough concept that CO2 = aerobic bacteria = non pathgenic food spoiling
and alcohol = anerobic = pathogenic

Biology news on Phys.org
lostminty said:
Currently I am thinking a device that measures CO2 and alcohol levels once the fridge is in a steady state (ie the door not open for some amount of time).

This is your first obstacle. You might as well spend your time figuring out what happens to the little light in the fridge when the door is closed.

It turns off in my fridge. I can tell because it delay turns on when i open the door just a jar.

Great. Now figure out how to have a fridge without opening the door.

why would I do that?

Re-read your OP.

When you set up an experiment you try to remove aspects of the system you cannot control. A closed cold box would work better to test what you describe.

Likes 1 person
lostminty said:
I have a rough concept that CO2 = aerobic bacteria = non pathgenic food spoiling
and alcohol = anerobic = pathogenic

If your fridge contains half-empty yoghurt pots and/or wine bottles, that concept may need some more work.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for helping :)

So I see that a fridge is too dynamic to have measurable value. Perhaps some particular metabolite could be measurable, but then you have issues associated with scope.

Compartmentalised detection could do it, ie built into food containers. But electronics are not suited for such low end goods. Perhaps some type of sticker?

or maybe a cling film that changes colour

1. What types of micro-organisms can be found in the fridge?

There are various types of micro-organisms that can be found in the fridge, such as bacteria, fungi, and mold. These micro-organisms can come from food items, air, or contaminated surfaces.

2. How do micro-organisms grow in the fridge?

Micro-organisms grow in the fridge when the temperature is between 40°F and 140°F, which is known as the "danger zone" for food. They can also grow in moist and dark environments, making the fridge an ideal breeding ground for them.

3. Can micro-organisms in the fridge make me sick?

Yes, some types of micro-organisms in the fridge can cause foodborne illnesses if consumed. These micro-organisms can contaminate food and produce toxins that can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

4. How can I prevent the growth of micro-organisms in the fridge?

To prevent the growth of micro-organisms in the fridge, it is important to keep the temperature below 40°F and regularly clean and sanitize the fridge. It is also essential to properly store food in airtight containers and avoid cross-contamination.

5. Can I still use food that has been contaminated by micro-organisms in the fridge?

No, it is not safe to consume food that has been contaminated by micro-organisms in the fridge. It is best to discard any food that has been stored in the fridge for too long or shows signs of spoilage, such as an unusual odor or visible mold growth.