Solving Micro Switch Problems: Maintained vs Momentary

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding a maintained switch form of the recently purchased momentary switch. They are unsure of the proper terminology, but believe that maintained switch means pressing once for on and again for off, while momentary switch means pressing and holding for on and releasing for off. The speaker has only seen momentary action microswitches, but may be able to remove the spring from the button for non-momentary action. They are also considering using a different style of switch.
NeepGlass
i am in no way a engineer so i need help
i just bought
(MICRO SWITCH, PIN PLUNGER, SPDT 16A 250V; Microswitch Type:Standard; Actuator Style:Pin Plunger; Operating Force Max:100gf; Contact Voltage AC Nom:250V; Contact Current Max:16A; Switch Terminals:Quick Connect; Circuitry:SPDT)

and it is a momentary switch but i need the same switch in a maintained switch form

what do i need to look for that denotes a maintained switch

I do not know proper terminology what i gather is

maintained switch mean press once for on and again for off
momentary switch means press and hold for on release for off

any help would be great
thankyou for your time

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

As you say, momentary action is when the switch closes (or opens, depending on how it's wired up) only when it's pressed down. Non-momentary action is the opposite.

I think I've only ever seen momentary action microswitches as they're generally meant to detect when something is physically opened (or closed) or when, say, something has gone too far (as a limit switch).

If you absolutely need that switch, and absolutely need non-momentary action, a hack may be to remove the spring which returns the button. Unfortunately, you'll now have to manually open the switch. If you don't need that style of switch, consider using a non-momentary pushbutton, slider, or toggle switch--these you should be able to easily find at a hardware store or automotive place, or even a Radio Shack.

1. What is the difference between a maintained and momentary micro switch?

A maintained micro switch is designed to stay in its switched state until the actuator is manually reset, while a momentary micro switch is designed to only stay in its switched state as long as the actuator is pressed.

2. How can I tell if my micro switch is a maintained or momentary type?

The best way to determine the type of micro switch is to check the datasheet or product specifications. Maintained switches will typically have a latch mechanism, while momentary switches will have a spring-loaded actuator.

3. What are the common problems associated with micro switches?

Some common problems with micro switches include contact bounce, faulty wiring or connections, and damage to the actuator or switch housing.

4. How can I troubleshoot and solve micro switch problems?

First, check for any loose connections or damaged wiring. Next, clean the switch contacts with a contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol. If the problem persists, the switch may need to be replaced.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for ensuring the longevity of micro switches?

To maintain the proper functioning of micro switches, it is important to regularly clean the contacts, check for any loose connections or damage, and replace the switch if necessary. It is also important to avoid overloading the switch beyond its rated capacity.