Micro USB OTG Cable: Can I Use a Female-to-Female Adapter?

In summary, in order to use a USB device with your tablet, you will need an OTG cable. This cable allows your tablet to function as both a master and slave device, allowing for seamless connections between different devices. Without it, your USB device will not work properly with your tablet.
trollcast
Gold Member
I'm looking at getting one of these for my tablet but would a female to female USB adapter on the end of the USB lead that came with my tablet work the same?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yup, you need the OTG cable.

In the beginning when things were simple, every USB device was built either as a "master" or a "slave" device, depending on what it did. For eaxmple a desktop computer would be a "master", but a memory stick or a USB printer would be a "slave".

A network of USB devices only works properly if there is exactly one "master" device.

That simple "master/slave" idea doesn't work with devices like tablets, which might sometimes need to function as a master and sometimes as a slave.

The OTG cable fixes the problem by by making one end of the cable look like the master device and the other end like a slave, independent of what devices the cable is plugged into. In other words, you can connect "anything to anything" and it "just works."

1. Can I use a Micro USB OTG cable with a female-to-female adapter?

Yes, you can use a Micro USB OTG cable with a female-to-female adapter. This type of adapter allows you to connect two Micro USB devices together, such as a smartphone and a USB flash drive.

2. What devices are compatible with a Micro USB OTG cable and female-to-female adapter?

Most Android smartphones and tablets are compatible with Micro USB OTG cables and female-to-female adapters. However, it is important to check the device's specifications to ensure compatibility.

3. Can I use a female-to-female adapter to connect a Micro USB device to an iPhone or iPad?

No, you cannot use a female-to-female adapter to connect a Micro USB device to an iPhone or iPad. Apple devices use a different type of connection called Lightning, which is not compatible with Micro USB.

4. What can I use a Micro USB OTG cable and female-to-female adapter for?

You can use a Micro USB OTG cable and female-to-female adapter to connect various Micro USB devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and cameras, to each other. This allows for data transfer, charging, and even connecting peripherals like keyboards and mice.

5. Can I use a female-to-female adapter to charge my devices?

Yes, you can use a female-to-female adapter to charge your devices. However, it is important to note that the charging speed may be affected depending on the quality of the adapter and the devices being used.