Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Micro water pump for cooling

1. Aug 12, 2010 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Hey.

I've been trying to find a really small, micro water pump, direct current, in-line 2.5"x1.5" maybe slightly bigger, but preferrably tubular in shape and as small as possible. Looked on ebay to no avail. Any ideas? It has to be cheap as well, something under $50. Oh and 1-2 GPH flow preferrably.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi cronxeh, how about an aquarium pump? The 1-2 GPH is probably less than even the smallest aquarium pump but the size and price is right. If you want to reduce flow, you could put a bypass around the pump that circulated water back to the pump suction to reduce flow. They don't produce more than a few feet of head though - what kind of pressure do you need?

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'm thinking somewhere around 20 kPa

5. Aug 13, 2010 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Aug 13, 2010 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

7. Aug 13, 2010 #6
  8. Aug 14, 2010 #7

RonL

Gold Member

Try pager motors

http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0185.shtml [Broken]

I once saw a picture of a tiny helicopter, two rotors driven by motors that were about the size of grains of rice. Sientific American I think, but I have not been able to find it again.

Good luck.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Aug 14, 2010 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

You know a motor doesn't really help here. I need a water pump. Not air pump, not motor, a water pump. Something that constantly pumps water from intake port into output port. Not to mention I won't be pumping water through it, probably some kind of alcohol or something with better heat transfer properties.

Ideally this: http://www.rotinagroup.com/images/2009/03/micropump-mp5-bartels150px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Aug 15, 2010 #9

RonL

Gold Member

I'm at a loss then, only thing that comes to mind is a soloniod type pump as in auto fuel pumps, but nothing as small as you want ????

11. Aug 17, 2010 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

OK progress report. I've ordered all the parts, but there is a slight issue. I have 5/64" inner diameter pvc tubing for the main heat exchange, chosen for the small thickness and better heat transfer, but my pump is 4mm (roughly 1/8") outlet. So now I need a stepdown/up. From 1/8" to 5/64" preferrably variable size (i.e sliding scale). Any ideas?

12. Aug 18, 2010 #11
    Cole Parmer comes into mind as a good supply house for tubing, various fittings, and even little pumps. They have all sorts of fittings. Some have barbs, and some you can solvent bond using a little MEK. I really like the standard medical Luer fittings. They're common, easily detached with many manifolds, check valves, t-valves, etc.. If you go in production, you can probably get them much much cheaper.

13. Sep 5, 2010 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok well the project is finished, it provides liquid water cooling via tshirt, using TEC for heat pump drawing max 14A, and 3L/min pump drawing max 2.4A, whole system on 12V running off LiFePO4 battery pack. The average run time on max usage is about an hour, and it provides constant 4 deg F liquid water to the body. Purpose? Could be used for firefighting, or just in lieu of an air conditioner. Total cost to build about 200 dollars.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. Sep 5, 2010 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

200 watts! That's almost as much as my refrigerator draws. But I suppose lugging around a refrigerator would sort of defeat the purpose.

I've been ogling TEC's since I saw my first 12 vdc cooler. It's nice to see the chips readily available now, and at very reasonable prices.

I do like your device.

Do you plan on designing a ball cap version? Say 50 watts? And not quite 4'F?

I mean really, that would freeze my brain.

15. Sep 5, 2010 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

Cap version is a good idea, but since circulation to brain starts at chest level, this would keep your whole body. Other ideas include temperature sensors to measure skin temperature and variate the resistance so the current drawn is decreased with trigger at 37 deg C.

Also you can charge the battery off the human body but reversing the tec or polarity is needed. Not sure but further refinement can let you have a heater and cooler both in one design maybe using 2 TECs

16. Sep 5, 2010 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I realize that you've already solved the problem and completed your project, but figured to toss in my idea anyhow in case someone else needs to do it sometime. As long as a really smooth flow isn't required, I just butt different sizes of conduit against each other and cover the whole joint area with heat-shrink tubing. It has pretty good mechanical strength and flexibility, and seals like nobody's business. You can even stack several layers if needed.

17. Mar 18, 2011 #16
    I'm trying to build one for myself as well. I tried to send you a private message, but the website said you couldn't receive them. Please send me an email to realspido@gmail.com - I'm really looking forward to get in touch with you.

Cheers
    Tom

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  18. Aug 27, 2012 #17
    Hey Realspido;
    Did you ever hear from cronxeh about the cooling shirt? I also have a prototype and just wanted to exchange ideas!
    Best
    Dan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook