Small and Affordable Micro Water Pump for Cooling: Any Suggestions?

In summary, this project provides liquid water cooling via tshirt, using TEC for heat pump drawing max 14A, and 3L/min pump drawing max 2.4A, whole system on 12V running off LiFePO4 battery pack. The average run time on max usage is about an hour, and it provides constant 4 deg F liquid water to the body. The total cost to build about 200...
cronxeh
Gold Member
Hey.

I've been trying to find a really small, micro water pump, direct current, in-line 2.5"x1.5" maybe slightly bigger, but preferably tubular in shape and as small as possible. Looked on ebay to no avail. Any ideas? It has to be cheap as well, something under $50. Oh and 1-2 GPH flow preferably.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi cronxeh, how about an aquarium pump? The 1-2 GPH is probably less than even the smallest aquarium pump but the size and price is right. If you want to reduce flow, you could put a bypass around the pump that circulated water back to the pump suction to reduce flow. They don't produce more than a few feet of head though - what kind of pressure do you need?

Q_Goest said:
Hi cronxeh, how about an aquarium pump? The 1-2 GPH is probably less than even the smallest aquarium pump but the size and price is right. If you want to reduce flow, you could put a bypass around the pump that circulated water back to the pump suction to reduce flow. They don't produce more than a few feet of head though - what kind of pressure do you need?

I'm thinking somewhere around 20 kPa

cronxeh said:
I've been to all these places.. They don't have prices or ordering online. I need something much smaller than all those pumps. Something that can be woven into clothing and not too power consuming. 9-12V battery operated maybe 500mA

Try pager motors

http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0185.shtml

I once saw a picture of a tiny helicopter, two rotors driven by motors that were about the size of grains of rice. Sientific American I think, but I have not been able to find it again.

Good luck.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
RonL said:
Try pager motors

http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0185.shtml

I once saw a picture of a tiny helicopter, two rotors driven by motors that were about the size of grains of rice. Sientific American I think, but I have not been able to find it again.

Good luck.

Ron

You know a motor doesn't really help here. I need a water pump. Not air pump, not motor, a water pump. Something that constantly pumps water from intake port into output port. Not to mention I won't be pumping water through it, probably some kind of alcohol or something with better heat transfer properties.

Ideally this: http://www.rotinagroup.com/images/2009/03/micropump-mp5-bartels150px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cronxeh said:
You know a motor doesn't really help here. I need a water pump. Not air pump, not motor, a water pump. Something that constantly pumps water from intake port into output port. Not to mention I won't be pumping water through it, probably some kind of alcohol or something with better heat transfer properties.

Ideally this: http://www.rotinagroup.com/images/2009/03/micropump-mp5-bartels150px.jpg

I'm at a loss then, only thing that comes to mind is a soloniod type pump as in auto fuel pumps, but nothing as small as you want ?

OK progress report. I've ordered all the parts, but there is a slight issue. I have 5/64" inner diameter pvc tubing for the main heat exchange, chosen for the small thickness and better heat transfer, but my pump is 4mm (roughly 1/8") outlet. So now I need a stepdown/up. From 1/8" to 5/64" preferably variable size (i.e sliding scale). Any ideas?

Cole Parmer comes into mind as a good supply house for tubing, various fittings, and even little pumps. They have all sorts of fittings. Some have barbs, and some you can solvent bond using a little MEK. I really like the standard medical Luer fittings. They're common, easily detached with many manifolds, check valves, t-valves, etc.. If you go in production, you can probably get them much much cheaper.

Ok well the project is finished, it provides liquid water cooling via tshirt, using TEC for heat pump drawing max 14A, and 3L/min pump drawing max 2.4A, whole system on 12V running off LiFePO4 battery pack. The average run time on max usage is about an hour, and it provides constant 4 deg F liquid water to the body. Purpose? Could be used for firefighting, or just in lieu of an air conditioner. Total cost to build about 200 dollars.

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
Ok well the project is finished, it provides liquid water cooling via tshirt, using TEC for heat pump drawing max 14A, and 3L/min pump drawing max 2.4A, whole system on 12V running off LiFePO4 battery pack. The average run time on max usage is about an hour, and it provides constant 4 deg F liquid water to the body. Purpose? Could be used for firefighting, or just in lieu of an air conditioner. Total cost to build about 200 dollars.

200 watts! That's almost as much as my refrigerator draws. But I suppose lugging around a refrigerator would sort of defeat the purpose.

I've been ogling TEC's since I saw my first 12 vdc cooler. It's nice to see the chips readily available now, and at very reasonable prices.

I do like your device.

Do you plan on designing a ball cap version? Say 50 watts? And not quite 4'F?

I mean really, that would freeze my brain.

OmCheeto said:
200 watts! That's almost as much as my refrigerator draws. But I suppose lugging around a refrigerator would sort of defeat the purpose.

I've been ogling TEC's since I saw my first 12 vdc cooler. It's nice to see the chips readily available now, and at very reasonable prices.

I do like your device.

Do you plan on designing a ball cap version? Say 50 watts? And not quite 4'F?

I mean really, that would freeze my brain.
Cap version is a good idea, but since circulation to brain starts at chest level, this would keep your whole body. Other ideas include temperature sensors to measure skin temperature and variate the resistance so the current drawn is decreased with trigger at 37 deg C.

Also you can charge the battery off the human body but reversing the tec or polarity is needed. Not sure but further refinement can let you have a heater and cooler both in one design maybe using 2 TECs

cronxeh said:
So now I need a stepdown/up. From 1/8" to 5/64" preferably variable size (i.e sliding scale). Any ideas?

I realize that you've already solved the problem and completed your project, but figured to toss in my idea anyhow in case someone else needs to do it sometime. As long as a really smooth flow isn't required, I just butt different sizes of conduit against each other and cover the whole joint area with heat-shrink tubing. It has pretty good mechanical strength and flexibility, and seals like nobody's business. You can even stack several layers if needed.

cronxeh said:

I'm trying to build one for myself as well. I tried to send you a private message, but the website said you couldn't receive them. Please send me an email to realspido@gmail.com - I'm really looking forward to get in touch with you.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
Hey Realspido;
Did you ever hear from cronxeh about the cooling shirt? I also have a prototype and just wanted to exchange ideas!
Best
Dan

1. What is a micro water pump for cooling?

A micro water pump for cooling is a small device used to circulate water through a cooling system. It is typically used in small-scale applications, such as cooling electronic devices or small machinery.

2. How does a micro water pump for cooling work?

The pump uses a motor to create suction, which draws water into the pump. The water then flows through the pump and is pushed out at a higher pressure, creating a continuous circulation of water through the cooling system.

3. What are the benefits of using a micro water pump for cooling?

Micro water pumps for cooling offer several benefits, including compact size, low power consumption, and efficient cooling. They are also relatively quiet and have a long lifespan.

4. What are the different types of micro water pumps for cooling?

There are several types of micro water pumps for cooling, including centrifugal, diaphragm, and peristaltic pumps. Each type has its own advantages and is suited for different applications.

5. How do I choose the right micro water pump for cooling?

The right micro water pump for cooling will depend on the specific needs of your application. Factors to consider include flow rate, pressure, power consumption, and size. It is best to consult with a professional or do thorough research to determine the best pump for your needs.