Microbe Heat Resistance and Autoclave Testing

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a reference on the heat resistance of microbes and the effectiveness of an autoclave in killing them. The conversation also mentions specific examples of heat-tolerant, pH-tolerant, and pressure-tolerant archaebacteria, as well as the use of spore strips and testing kits to verify the autoclave's efficacy. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to autoclave media containing the specific bacteria of concern to ensure their destruction.
jamesrc
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
Does anyone know of a good reference for heat resistance of microbes? What would really help would be any listing of decimal reduction times (D-values) at a given process temperature and z values. I'm just trying to make sure our autoclave kills everything it's supposed to for someone, so I've got a list of microbes with initial # of colony forming units from some bioburden studies. If anyone can point me towards a good reference, that would be a big help. Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Autoclave doesn't kill certain archaebacteria

Edit: Ok I dug up some info for you:

Pyrolobus fumarii holds the current record for heat stability, with a 106 deg C temperature optimum and 113 deg C maximum - it is so heat tolerant that it is not killed by one-hour treatment in an autoclave (121 deg C)!

Also there are pH-tolerant archaebacteria that grow in highly acidic (pH=0.7) and highly basic (ph=11) environments.

And then there are pressure-tolerant archaebacteria that have been isolated from ocean depths and requiring pressures of 300 atm just to survive, and tolerating up to 800 atm.

Last edited:
In terms of practical use of autoclaving for the destruction of your typical contaminating species I would guess that the standard protocols remove 99%+ of the bacteria on your surfaces. Unless you, or your colleagues, are directly working with them, the chances of you running into any of the extreme-environment tolerant species is minimal.
If you are looking for some sort of laboratory-based testing or verification to reach some clinical threshold you might try a company like http://www.namsa.com/index.asp" for you to test the efficacy of your autoclave. You can either try some of their products or maybe call their tech support for some free advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fedegari has an excellent write up on F0 calculation. You can access the document at http://www.fedegari.com/techno.asp#fo

I read somewhere that Stain121, which generally stays in the ocean depths, can resist the moist sterilization temperatures of 121 deg.C

Thanks for all of the help everyone. We had tried using spore strips for the validation, but the FDA wasn't satisfied. I found a few books that were helpful, especially Thermobacteriology in Food Processing by Stumbo. I think I've managed to find enough references to show that all of the microbes on my list are easier to kill than B. stearothermophilus, so I'm OK. Then again, I don't know jack squat about microbes and had never even heard of an autoclave a month ago. Thanks again.

quark said:
Fedegari has an excellent write up on F0 calculation. You can access the document at http://www.fedegari.com/techno.asp#fo
I read somewhere that Stain121, which generally stays in the ocean depths, can resist the moist sterilization temperatures of 121 deg.C

And tardigrades can survive +150 degrees without water,they are pretty much indestructible as bacterias.

Usually the testing kits for autoclaves are intended to detemine if your autoclave is actually working properly, not whether it is supposed to kill certain bacteria at a particular setting.

If you're working with a specific bacteria that you're concerned about surviving extreme environments, I would think the safest approach would be to autoclave media known to contain the bacteria, and then culture it after autoclaving to see if they survived.

What is "Microbe Heat Resistance"?

"Microbe Heat Resistance" refers to the ability of microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi, to survive and thrive in high temperatures. This resistance is a result of their genetic makeup and their ability to adapt to different environments.

Why is understanding Microbe Heat Resistance important?

Understanding Microbe Heat Resistance is important because it can have significant impacts on human health, agriculture, and food safety. Heat-resistant microbes can cause foodborne illnesses and can also be a challenge in sterilization processes for medical equipment and materials.

How do scientists study Microbe Heat Resistance?

Scientists study Microbe Heat Resistance by exposing different types of microorganisms to varying levels of heat and monitoring their survival rates. They also conduct genetic studies to understand the mechanisms that allow some microbes to withstand high temperatures.

What are some examples of heat-resistant microbes?

Some examples of heat-resistant microbes include thermophilic bacteria, which can survive and multiply in temperatures as high as 80°C (176°F), and heat-resistant viruses, such as the hepatitis A virus, which can survive in temperatures as high as 60°C (140°F).

Can Microbe Heat Resistance be controlled or eliminated?

While some heat-resistant microbes can be controlled or eliminated through proper cooking and food handling practices, others may require more extreme measures, such as pasteurization or sterilization. However, some microbes have developed resistance to these methods, making it important for scientists to continue researching and developing new strategies to combat heat-resistant microbes.