Microcontroller Programming

Summary
question about AVR Programmer

So I have the blue thing and the usb cord from a long time ago when I wanted to build a robot, but I don't have the bottom three (unless the bottom left hand corner one is the one attached to the blue thing). I still have the cd as well. I want to see if I can get the other two parts separately. Can I?

Also, I still don't understand how the programmer connects to the microcontroller. I have a tiny ATMega32 16AU microcontroller which seems too small for my breadboard. I have some old parts which may be microcontrollers or something else.

I may need to get a different microcontroller as well but I don't want to get another tiny one that won't work for my circuit. So I'm also asking if anyone has suggestions about what (AVR) microcontroller I should buy.

Baluncore

Science Advisor
I suspect you have just the “ATMega32 16AU” surface mount chip.
You really need an experimenters module that has everything on one PCB including the pins for the ports. Select one that is programmed through a USB port and costs less than $10. Then you have a simple solution that works quickly.

There are many simple very low cost solutions to choose from.
Will you program it in high level language or in assembly language?
Consider; https://www.adafruit.com/product/3500
Or Google; 'ATMega32 board'

I was going to use a higher level language but it depends on the chip I guess. My AVR programmer for example came with software to make the programming step easier but adafruit looks okay.

Thank you for the link. I want my circuit to work but it doesn't need to be expensive. The main thing I'm trying to do is to plan everything I can out in a lot of detail before I buy more parts.