1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microcoulombs Question

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    Ok, the question is:

A, B and C are three small insulated conductors all carrying positive charges of equal size. A exerts a force of 2.5micronewtons on B. The distance between A and B is 2[tex]\sqrt{3}cm[/tex] and the distance between B and C is 2cm. What is the magnitude of the force exerted by B on C?

I know how to do all of it, since all the charges are the same, I've worked out the charge of A, B and C to be 5.77x10^-9C (I've checked and re-checked again)

So then I worked out the force between B and C and I continually get 7.5x10^-4N. When converting this to micronewtons, it is 750micronewtons.

According to the textbook however, I am wrong and by two decimal points actually. Apparently, the answer is 7.5micronewtons.

I've checked time and time again, made sure that I converted the micronewtons to Newtons (SI units) when calculating and converting the cm to m in regard to SI units. I don't know what I've done wrong. Could someone please check for me, because the textbook is prone to errors sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

I got 7.5 micro newtons.
    So please show your calculations.
    I can rewrite the above question in this way.
    Two identical charges repel each other with a force of 2.5 micro newton when they separate by a distance 2*sqrt3 cm. If their distance is 2 cm, what is the new force of repulsion?

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3
    Don't worry, I know what I did wrong. I squared 2*sqrt3 and THEN divided by 100 which I wasn't meant to do. I had to do it the other way round.

Such small mistakes are quite costly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook