Water or Microelectronics: Which Specialization Should I Choose?

• Thread starter NanjoeBot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the person is a junior in chemical engineering and is having trouble deciding between specializing in water resources/treatment or microelectronics in their senior year. They are interested in water because of their enjoyment of fluid dynamics and mass transfer, and their concern about growing water problems. They also like the idea of potential outdoor field work in this field. However, they are also intrigued by the microelectronics option because of their interest in E&M and circuits, as well as the opportunity to learn about plasma and nanotechnology. They live in an area with many job opportunities in microelectronics, but they are not particularly interested in working with computers. They are more interested in aerospace and alternative materials. They are wondering if there are other opportunities in microelectronics besides
NanjoeBot
Hi, I am just now finishing my junior year in chemical engineering. In my senior year I can choose a specialization and I am having trouble deciding between water resources/treatment or microelectronics.

Im interested in water because I really enjoyed fluid dynamics and mass transfer, and I am also concerned about our growing water problems. Plus, working in water resources, I could potentially get a job involving out door field work which is appealing to me.

However I am also want to do the microelectronics option because I enjoyed the intro E&M class and the circuits class that I have taken. I also would love to learn more about plasma and nanotechnology which is covered in the curriculum. Also, I live in the northwest U.S., which is like microelectronic/ computer central, so there are a lot of jobs here. The weird thing is though, I am not really interested in working in computers. I don't want to make computers and chips for things like phones and ipads. I am however interested in aerospace and alternative materials.

So a few questions I have are; Is there much opportunity in microelectronics besides making computer chips? Would microelectronics give me a better ability to get into aerospace?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do both options, it could open opportunities for some really interesting research positions "in the field".

There are many opportunities to apply microelectronics to water/natural resources. In fact, it's what made James Lovelock famous:

"The electron capture detector was invented in 1956 and is still among the most sensitive of chemical analytical methods in existence. Its use led to the discovery of the ubiquitous distribution of pesticide residues in the natural environment and can be said, along with Rachel Carson's seminal book Silent Spring, to have started the environmental movement." http://www.jameslovelock.org/page3.html

That's an interesting idea. Ill look into it. Thank you

1. What is microelectronics?

Microelectronics is a branch of electronics that deals with the design, manufacture, and use of very small electronic components, typically smaller than a few millimeters. These components include transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits, which are used in various electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, and medical equipment.

2. How does microelectronics impact our daily lives?

Microelectronics has greatly impacted our daily lives by enabling the development of advanced technologies and devices that make our lives more convenient and efficient. It has revolutionized industries such as healthcare, transportation, and communication, and has also made personal devices like smartphones and laptops possible.

3. What are the main challenges in microelectronics research?

The main challenges in microelectronics research include the miniaturization of electronic components, improving performance and efficiency while reducing power consumption, and finding new materials and techniques to overcome physical limitations. Another major challenge is keeping up with the constantly evolving demands of the market.

4. What is the role of water in microelectronics?

Water plays a vital role in the manufacturing process of microelectronics. It is used for cleaning and rinsing electronic components during various stages of production. It also serves as a coolant in the fabrication process, preventing overheating of the components and ensuring their proper functioning.

5. How does water contamination affect microelectronics?

Water contamination can have a significant impact on the quality and reliability of microelectronic devices. Even small amounts of impurities in the water can cause defects or failures in the components. Therefore, strict measures are taken to ensure the purity of water used in the manufacturing process to maintain the integrity of microelectronics.