Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microlensing might detect planets as well as MACHOs

1. Oct 13, 2003 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

massive compact halo objects have been detected by microlensing

an invisible compact object passing in front of a distant source causes a temporary spike in the light curve by gravitational lensing---the brightening might last a couple of days

this was written about in the late 1990s when they wanted an upper bound on the contribution of MACHO to dark matter and a bunch of invisible massive objects were observed

but wait! the story isnt over apparently. I recently came across a page of some people who think they can detect earth-size and larger-size planets by a "double spike" microlensing effect.

the star causes a large broad blip in the lightcurve and the planet causes a smaller sharp blip superimposed on it.

I cannot vouch for this. It may not be a reliable webpage. It has a lot of links to established microlensing searches and established planet searches, so it might be a useful page as well as being a curiosity. The page is called "Microlensing Planet Search". Tell me if you think it has any interest or is just weird

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not wierd, but the detection rate would be pretty low, even if there were lots and lots of planets. Planets orbit in a plane, so the path of lensing object (as seen by us) would need to be in (or sufficiently close to) the orbital plane.

IIRC, there was quite a lot of excitement over the light curve of a caustic crossing lens event, some saw it as evidence of a planet.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?