Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Micromanaged Thanksgiving

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, nothing unusual. :yuck:

4. Dec 18, 2011 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Thanksgiving was in October. Aside from that, I would tell her to go **** herself.

5. Dec 18, 2011 #4

rhody

Gold Member

MIH,

Is there such a thing as an un-invitation, or relational rehab, yep...

Rhody... :devil:

6. Dec 18, 2011 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, and I'd add: WITH A LID, NOT ALUMINUM FOIL!

7. Dec 18, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If that were my family, I'd be consuming as much turkey as I could. Wild Turkey.

8. Dec 18, 2011 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Dec 18, 2011 #8
    definitely NOT controlling...he/she totally omitted which direction napkins should be folded in

10. Dec 18, 2011 #9

turbo

Gold Member

There you go! Too much left to chance!! You can't leave so much potential disorder and discord for such an important holiday!!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  11. Dec 19, 2011 #10

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'd bring a frozen turkey on a paper plate wrapped in aluminum foil with a kiddie spoon and a pair of scissors.

12. Dec 19, 2011 #11
    Speaking of domination, LisaB is a cruel mistress.

13. Dec 19, 2011 #12

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Before criticizing I would like to see how the family behaved in the previous years. Could be this mail is just a tip of an iceberg.

14. Dec 19, 2011 #13

turbo

Gold Member

In my family (either side of the family) Thanksgiving was a huge mash-up with everybody contributing what they wanted. When I was a kid, we didn't have a telephone, so it wasn't as if my mother could coordinate with my aunts. I think that it was understood that the person hosting the event would supply a roasted turkey, make gravy, and supply mashed potatoes. Aside from that, it was a free-for all.

If we were celebrating with my father's family, it was pretty much expected that his baby sister would bring a wonderful pie made of brandied mince-meat. She brought a lot more, of course, but the fact was that my food-hound father would always save room for her pie. It was served in the dessert-phase, along with the apple, pumpkin, cherry, lemon-custard pies and ice cream. His mother always made her famous lemon chiffon pie (his favorite), so he had to save room for that, too.

As for serving-spoons, knives, etc, none of us were rich enough to have a surplus of that stuff. If you had to grab the "big" spoon out of the mashed turnip to grab a helping of squash or potatoes, that was just the way it was. Want another helping of steamed pearl onions and green peas? You might end up "contaminating" them with the garlic-y mashed potatoes, but after you covered them with turkey gravy, who could complain?

15. Dec 19, 2011 #14
    Exactly! Chaos could ensue...the butterfly effect, just from omitting this essential detail. I'm sure somebody ended up with stuffing in their hair just because of this.

16. Dec 19, 2011 #15

rhody

Gold Member

Just a thought, wouldn't it be cruel if the OP's card was a hoax, intended to send a message to some family member who was leaning toward becoming MORE controlling.

Rhody... :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook