Micromanaged Thanksgiving: A Question of Control?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: Thanksgiving was in October. Aside from that, I would tell her to go **** herself.MIH,Yes, and I'd add: WITH A LID, NOT ALUMINUM FOIL!If that were my family, I'd be consuming as much turkey as I could. Wild Turkey.
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Do you sense any control issues here?

Nope, nothing unusual. :yuck:

Thanksgiving was in October. Aside from that, I would tell her to go **** herself.

MIH,

Is there such a thing as an un-invitation, or relational rehab, yep...

Rhody... :devil:

Danger said:
Thanksgiving was in October. Aside from that, I would tell her to go **** herself.

Yes, and I'd add: WITH A LID, NOT ALUMINUM FOIL!

If that were my family, I'd be consuming as much turkey as I could. Wild Turkey.

lisab said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

definitely NOT controlling...he/she totally omitted which direction napkins should be folded in

HeLiXe said:
definitely NOT controlling...he/she totally omitted which direction napkins should be folded in
There you go! Too much left to chance! You can't leave so much potential disorder and discord for such an important holiday!

Last edited:
I'd bring a frozen turkey on a paper plate wrapped in aluminum foil with a kiddie spoon and a pair of scissors.

lisab said:

Speaking of domination, LisaB is a cruel mistress.

Before criticizing I would like to see how the family behaved in the previous years. Could be this mail is just a tip of an iceberg.

Borek said:
Before criticizing I would like to see how the family behaved in the previous years. Could be this mail is just a tip of an iceberg.
In my family (either side of the family) Thanksgiving was a huge mash-up with everybody contributing what they wanted. When I was a kid, we didn't have a telephone, so it wasn't as if my mother could coordinate with my aunts. I think that it was understood that the person hosting the event would supply a roasted turkey, make gravy, and supply mashed potatoes. Aside from that, it was a free-for all.

If we were celebrating with my father's family, it was pretty much expected that his baby sister would bring a wonderful pie made of brandied mince-meat. She brought a lot more, of course, but the fact was that my food-hound father would always save room for her pie. It was served in the dessert-phase, along with the apple, pumpkin, cherry, lemon-custard pies and ice cream. His mother always made her famous lemon chiffon pie (his favorite), so he had to save room for that, too.

As for serving-spoons, knives, etc, none of us were rich enough to have a surplus of that stuff. If you had to grab the "big" spoon out of the mashed turnip to grab a helping of squash or potatoes, that was just the way it was. Want another helping of steamed pearl onions and green peas? You might end up "contaminating" them with the garlic-y mashed potatoes, but after you covered them with turkey gravy, who could complain?

turbo said:
There you go! Too much left to chance! You can't leave so much potential disorder and discord for such an important holiday!
Exactly! Chaos could ensue...the butterfly effect, just from omitting this essential detail. I'm sure somebody ended up with stuffing in their hair just because of this.

Just a thought, wouldn't it be cruel if the OP's card was a hoax, intended to send a message to some family member who was leaning toward becoming MORE controlling.

Rhody... :rolleyes:

1. What is "Micromanaged Thanksgiving"?

"Micromanaged Thanksgiving" is a term used to describe a Thanksgiving gathering where one person, usually the host, takes complete control of every aspect of the event, leaving little room for others to contribute or make decisions.

2. What are some examples of micromanaging during Thanksgiving?

Micromanaging during Thanksgiving can include dictating the menu, assigning specific tasks to guests, controlling the timing of the meal, and not allowing others to bring their own dishes or contribute to the cooking process.

3. How does micromanaging Thanksgiving affect the overall experience?

Micromanaging Thanksgiving can lead to feelings of frustration and resentment among guests who feel like they have no say in the event. It can also create a tense and stressful atmosphere, rather than the relaxed and enjoyable one typically associated with Thanksgiving.

4. What are some ways to avoid micromanaging Thanksgiving?

To avoid micromanaging Thanksgiving, the host can delegate tasks and allow guests to contribute to the menu and cooking process. They can also set a general timeline for the day and be open to making adjustments based on the needs and preferences of guests.

5. How can micromanaging Thanksgiving impact relationships?

Micromanaging Thanksgiving can strain relationships and create tension among family and friends. It can also prevent the development of new traditions or the inclusion of new ideas and perspectives, leading to a lack of growth and connection within the group.