Micromechanical Vibration Analysis of Composite Materials

In summary: Overall, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the principles and equations involved in vibration analysis before attempting to apply them to your specific project. In summary, When working on a project involving composite materials and vibration analysis, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the principles and equations involved. Some recommended resources for this topic include books like "Mechanical Vibrations" by Singiresu S. Rao and "Theory of Vibration with Applications" by William T. Thomson, as well as online tutorials and simulation software like ANSYS. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field for further guidance and support.
M_Abubakr
TL;DR Summary
My final year project dealing with how the microstructure of composite can have an effect on vibration properties of the system.
This project is stressing me out along with other workload and I'm in panic mode right now. The brief of the project is in the attachment.

I can interpret 4 objectives out of this:
(1) Analysing the relation of the physical parameters in the composite material with the characteristics of wave propagated within a cell of fibre-matrix.
(2) Analysing the effect of the degree of reflection, refraction and propagation of elastic waves within the fibre-matrix interface on the vibration response of the single ply of composite laminate.
(3) Introducing of geometric alterations within the fibre structure to increase fibre-matrix interface fracture energy.
(4) Introducing fibre interlocking mechanisms to increase fibre-matrix interface strength.

The types of vibrations experienced by the composite material will be harmonic. The type of composite is upto choice and I'm choosing carbon fibre-Epoxy. I know the analysis will be started with SDOF by analysing the unit cell. The shape of the individual fibre within the unit cell will look something like this. D, theta and L. D is the diameter of the fiber, theta is the angle and L is the distance between the two consecutive extrusions. I have to determine how does changing these parameters will effect the wave characteristics of the composite and also what effect will the change in fibre direction will have?
Fibre-parameters.png

My first question is, How do I achieve this first step? Of course I'll have to design this thing in CAD and then import it to ANSYS. That's one part of it. But how would I prove my calculations? What equations would I have to use? I know equations of motion for vibrations in 1D with mass spring and damper systems etc. but this? In 3D? This is beyond me. What mathematical Model will be best to carry out this analysis?

My Second question is, Once I have carried out this thorough analysis of unit cell, I would have to move from SDOF to Multiple degree of freedom. How would I achieve this? Through Fourier series? Of-course I will end up with multiple unit cells in a single ply of composite sheet and the whole sheet will be vibrating with its own frequency which will be made up of individual frequencies of multiple unit cells. But I have no idea what to do in this part. I'm probably writing BS and there will be lots of reflection and refraction going on within the material leading to superposition of incident and reflected waves which too will take effect and cause interference.

So far this will do. I will have more questions once I'm done with above stuff. Anyways, does anyone have any recommended books or literature on this topic I haven't been able to find a single piece of info that will help me get started in my analysis.

Attachments

• Project brief.PNG
    Project brief.PNG
    29.2 KB · Views: 138
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure there are experts here who can help me out.I recommend looking into books on vibration analysis, such as: - Mechanical Vibrations, by Singiresu S. Rao - Vibration Analysis and Structural Dynamics for Civil Engineers, by Tarek A. Zayed - Engineering Vibrations, by Daniel J. Inman - Theory of Vibration with Applications, by William T. ThomsonYou may also find helpful resources online, such as tutorials and video lectures dealing with vibration analysis. Additionally, simulation software such as ANSYS may provide some support in developing a mathematical model for your analysis.

1. What is micromechanical vibration analysis of composite materials?

Micromechanical vibration analysis of composite materials is a scientific method used to study the behavior of composite materials at the microscale level. It involves analyzing the vibration patterns and frequencies of composite materials to understand their mechanical properties and potential applications.

2. Why is micromechanical vibration analysis important in the study of composite materials?

Micromechanical vibration analysis is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the internal structure and properties of composite materials. This information can be used to optimize the design and performance of composite materials in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

3. What are the key components of micromechanical vibration analysis?

The key components of micromechanical vibration analysis include experimental techniques, analytical models, and numerical simulations. Experimental techniques involve measuring the vibration response of composite materials, while analytical models use mathematical equations to predict their behavior. Numerical simulations use computer software to simulate the vibration patterns and frequencies of composite materials.

4. What are some applications of micromechanical vibration analysis in composite materials?

Micromechanical vibration analysis has a wide range of applications in composite materials, including material characterization, damage detection, and structural health monitoring. It is also used in the development of new composite materials and in quality control during the manufacturing process.

5. What are the limitations of micromechanical vibration analysis?

One limitation of micromechanical vibration analysis is that it does not take into account the effects of environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, on the behavior of composite materials. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the assumptions and simplifications made in the analytical and numerical models.