1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microscope and object height

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A microscope has an objective lens with a focal length of 16.22 mm and an eyepiece with a focal length of 9.30 mm. With the length of the barrel set at 25.0 cm, the diameter of a red blood cell's image subtends an angle of 1.43 mrad with the eye. If the final image distance is 25.0 cm from the eyepiece, what is the actual diameter of the red blood cell?
    h1 =

2. Relevant equations
    m=-L/Fo(25cm/Fe)
    m=hi/ho

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't figure out how to get the object height without the image height? I think it has something to do with the angle at which the image subtends with the eye, but I don't have an equation for that, so I don't know where to go once I get m.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For small angles, the angle is the ratio of the height of the image to its distance from the eye. This comes from the definition of an angle (in radians) as the ratio of arc length to radius. If you know how far the image is from the eye, you can calculate its height from the angle.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    thanks, so I tried this again using the ratio you gave above, but it still isn't coming out right, here's what I did:
    m=-(25/1.622)(25/.93)=-414.3298463
    height of the image=(1.43e-3)(25cm)=.03575
    height of the object=(.03575) / (-414.3298463) = -.86283912e-6 meters
    why is this incorrect?

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

check your e-6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?