1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microscope questions

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    I need guidance on these questions, on microscopes

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In what direction will you move a centrally positioned specimen on a slide in order to view the top right hand corner of the specimen

2. The attempt at a solution
    is it to right then up ? someone please confirm this

2. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what happens to the light intensity when you change to high power from low power? How can you correct this?

2. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2
    I know that if you want to look at the left side of the slide, you need to move it to the right and vice versa. But I have no idea about the top-down couple though.
  4. Jul 19, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way I would work out this question is by going to the lab, make a slide of something (a drop of water from a pond is fine), put a cover slip over it and try to focus onto it, using the lowest magnification (smallest objective lens). Note approximately where you are over the coverslip and try to move to the top right hand corner. There should be a knob for side-to-side motion and another for up-down motion. Check every so often, to see if you are moving closer to that position.

To investigate your next question I would do the following.. Once I have the slide in focus, I would switch to next higher magnification (objective lens) and refocus and see if I notice any difference in light intensity. If not, go to the next highest magnification.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?