Microscopic transport equations

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transport
Expert SummarizerIn summary, the forum user is struggling with understanding Klimontovich's derivation of the microscopic transport equation. They are questioning a simplification made using the chain rule and the properties of the Dirac delta function. The expert explains that this simplification is valid due to the constant nature of the delta function in the derivative. They offer to answer any further questions and wish the user luck in their studies.
jdstokes
Hi,

I'm working my way through Klimontovich's `statistical mechanics' and I'm having trouble with his derivation of the microscopic transport equation:

[itex]\frac{\partial N(x,t)}{\partial t} + \mathbf{v} \frac{\partial N}{\partial \mathbf{r}} + \mathbf{F}^M(\mathbf{r},t)\frac{\partial N (x,t)}{\partial \mathbf{p}} = 0[/itex] ... (1)

where [itex]N(x,t) = \sum_{i=1}^N \delta (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_i(t))\delta(\mathbf{p} - \mathbf{p}_i(t)) = \sum_{i=1}^N \delta (x-x_i(t))[/itex].

Klimontovich appears to be using the chain rule

[itex] \frac{\partial N}{ \partial t} = \sum_{i=1}^N \left( \mathbf{v}_i \frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{r}_i} + \mathbf{F}^M(\mathbf{r}_i,t) \frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{p}_i}\right) \delta (x - x_i(t))[/itex]

where [itex]F^M(\mathbf{r}_i,t) = d\mathbf{p}_i/dt[/itex] is the microscopic force.

He then claims that since, e.g., [itex](\partial/\partial \mathbf{r}_i)\delta (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_i)=-(\partial/\partial \mathbf{r})\delta(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_i)[/itex],

the above expression simplifies to

[itex]-\mathbf{v} \frac{\partial N}{\partial \mathbf{r}} -\mathbf{F}^M(\mathbf{r},t)\frac{\partial N (x,t)}{\partial \mathbf{p}}[/itex].

But I don't see this. In order to make this simplification we must have

[itex](\mathbf{v}_i\partial/\partial \mathbf{r}_i)\delta (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_i)=-(\mathbf{v}\partial/\partial \mathbf{r})\delta(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_i)[/itex],

which is a little bit difficult to believe IMO.

Can anyone shed some light on this please.

Thanks

Note:
[itex] X \in \mathbb{R}^{6N}[/itex]
[itex] x \in \mathbb{R}^{6}[/itex]
[itex] \mathbf{r},\mathbf{p} \in \mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your understanding of Klimontovich's derivation of the microscopic transport equation. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of fully understanding the concepts and equations we work with.

After reviewing Klimontovich's derivation and the forum post you referenced, I can offer some clarification on the simplification you are questioning. The key to understanding this simplification lies in the definition of the Dirac delta function and its properties.

As you mentioned, we have N(x,t) = \sum_{i=1}^N \delta (\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_i(t))\delta(\mathbf{p} - \mathbf{p}_i(t)). The Dirac delta function is defined as \delta(\mathbf{x}) = 0 for \mathbf{x} \neq 0 and \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(\mathbf{x})d\mathbf{x} = 1. This means that when we take the derivative of N with respect to \mathbf{r}, we can treat the delta function as a constant with respect to \mathbf{r}. This is why we can simplify (\partial/\partial \mathbf{r}_i)\delta (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_i) to -(\partial/\partial \mathbf{r})\delta(\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}_i).

In other words, when we take the derivative of N with respect to \mathbf{r}, we are essentially taking the derivative of a sum of constants (the delta functions) and we can simply bring the derivative inside the sum. This is a common property of the Dirac delta function and is often used in mathematical derivations.

I hope this helps to clarify the simplification in Klimontovich's derivation. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are microscopic transport equations?

Microscopic transport equations are mathematical equations that describe the movement and behavior of microscopic particles, such as atoms and molecules, in a given system. They take into account factors such as diffusion, convection, and chemical reactions to predict the behavior of these particles.

2. How are microscopic transport equations used?

Microscopic transport equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of particles in physical systems, such as fluids and gases, and are also important in understanding processes in biological systems.

3. What are the main types of microscopic transport equations?

The main types of microscopic transport equations include the diffusion equation, the convection-diffusion equation, and the reaction-diffusion equation. These equations differ in the factors they take into account, such as the movement of particles due to diffusion or convection, and the presence of chemical reactions.

4. How are microscopic transport equations derived?

Microscopic transport equations are typically derived from first principles, using fundamental laws of physics such as conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. They may also be derived from experimental data or empirical relationships.

5. What are some real-world applications of microscopic transport equations?

Microscopic transport equations have many real-world applications, including predicting the diffusion of pollutants in the environment, modeling the transport of nutrients and drugs in biological systems, and understanding the behavior of materials in chemical reactions. They are also used in the design and optimization of industrial processes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and the purification of water.