Microsoft OneNote 2013 Error: First Time Use Solution

• Thread starter jeremybryan279
  • Start date
In summary, to resolve the issue of receiving an error when trying to open OneNote from the icon in Outlook, the solution is to first open OneNote separately from the Start menu or Apps menu, then close it, and then try opening it from Outlook again. This error can occur if OneNote has not been started previously. Additionally, to find out what operating system your computer has, you can check in the settings or system information. OneNote is a separate program from Microsoft Word and has a different layout with sliding squares and rectangles. For further assistance, you can visit the Microsoft community website.
jeremybryan279
When I try to open OneNote from the icon in Outlook, ireceive the following error:

Before you can use this feature, OneNote must start for the first time. You can return here and try again after OneNote starts.

Anybody knows the solution to the my problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried running OneNote by itself (not via Outlook) -- then trying to open it from Outlook?

This error can appear if you haven't started OneNote previously.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Open OneNote:

In Windows 7, click the Start button, and then click All Programs. Click the Microsoft Office folder, and then double-click Microsoft OneNote.
In Windows 8, open OneNote from the Apps menu.
Close OneNote by clicking the red 'X' in the upper-right corner.
Open Outlook, then open OneNote.

I have Onenote on my ASUS notebook computer, but have never used it. Is it similar to any version of Microsoft word? Also, how do you know what operating system your computer has? For about a dozen years I had XP, but I had a ransomware attack several weeks ago and took it off the net. My ASUS notebook has that new layout where there are rectangles, squares arrayed across the screen, that you can slide right and left.

1. What is Microsoft OneNote 2013 Error: First Time Use Solution?

Microsoft OneNote 2013 Error: First Time Use Solution is a troubleshooting solution for users who encounter an error message when trying to open the OneNote 2013 application for the first time. This error is typically caused by a corrupted or missing file.

2. How do I fix the Microsoft OneNote 2013 Error?

To fix the error, you can follow these steps:

• Close the OneNote 2013 application if it is open.
  • Open the Control Panel and navigate to "Programs and Features".
  • Find Microsoft Office 2013 in the list of installed programs and select "Change".
  • Choose "Repair" and follow the prompts to complete the repair process.
  • Once the repair is complete, try opening OneNote 2013 again. The error should be resolved.

3. Can I prevent this error from occurring in the future?

Yes, you can prevent this error by regularly updating your Microsoft Office 2013 software. This will ensure that all necessary files are up to date and prevent any potential errors.

4. Are there any other troubleshooting methods for this error?

If the repair process does not resolve the error, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling Microsoft Office 2013. You can also try running a full virus scan on your computer to ensure that the error is not caused by malware.

5. Is this error specific to OneNote 2013 or can it occur in other versions as well?

This error is specific to OneNote 2013. However, similar errors may occur in other versions of OneNote or Microsoft Office. If you encounter an error in a different version, it is recommended to follow similar troubleshooting steps or consult Microsoft's support resources.