Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microsoft Outlook

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    So, I have it working with my school and msn email account. I've also added events on the calandar option. Is there a way to have this send information to my phone? I don't have a blackberry. I know if your phone is windows based it can sync with your home pc and update you on meetings. Is there a way you can have outlook send your el cheapo phone a text saying Hey: Meeting! ?

Also, what other cool things can you do with it or have you done with it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
  4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    AHA, you're a genious! I sent myself a text via email. Now to get outlook to send me a text reminder and I have blackberry capaiblity! (well, sort of!)
  5. Jan 24, 2009 #4
    Ah, an email from outlook! NOw, how do I automate outlook to send emails for events on its own??
  6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    I was able to find the following, which sounds like it may be what you're looking for, but it's hard to say since it doesn't give a ton of details on how it actually functions.

You can download a trial version (the full version costs $24) and test it out. It's one part of a set of 18 Outlook add-ins, so there's some extra stuff there that you may not need.

The main issue you're likely to run into is that you'll probably have to have Outlook up and running on your machine (with an active internet connection) in order for the reminders to get sent. Since it doesn't look like you're running in an Exchange environment (from your description I'm just guessing you're using POP or something), I'm not sure there's a way around that (even in an Exchange environment, I'd guess it would have to be implemented by the server admin).

This whole idea of yours is intriguing to me. I may have to look into this myself so I can keep all of my work meetings straight.
  7. Jan 24, 2009 #6
    Google Calendar (sends sms/email reminders) /Remember Me Milk (to do list - I think also sends reminders) are better than Outlook which is slow on my computer.

I have 2007 and I can do planning in Microsoft One note, and easily transfer my work into outlook. I think Outlook can also keeps track of all the work you do using Word/Excel. And, you can also synchronize it with google calendar (need a 3rd party free tool)
  8. Jan 24, 2009 #7
    I've never used outlook - does it have a scripting capability?
  9. Jan 24, 2009 #8
    Will you need google calendar up and running for it to send you automated emails to your phone? The problem with outlook is that I must have my computer on at home and connected to the internet for it to send me an email. If google could do this while my comptuer is shut off, thats the optimum solution!
  10. Jan 24, 2009 #9
    No. Actually, it's much better because it doesn't run on your computer but on google servers.
    So first, you can access it from everywhere ( and second you don't need to download anything on your computer. You need a gmail account for it. But, everything is free :tongue2: All the events can be synchronized with Outlook with

Remember The milk is to do list and it also runs online (but needs a free account).

If you haven't tried google before, you should also check Google docs which is equivalent to MS Office but runs online and costs nothing.
  11. Jan 24, 2009 #10
    Sweetttt............I'm turning my Motorola W755

Into a pseudo blackberry!
  12. Jan 25, 2009 #11
    You guys are awesome. This google thing works perfectly!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?