Is Microsoft's Silverlight Causing DVD Playback Issues?

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
They release updates and new programs that end up causing more problems than they solve. It's frustrating, but thankfully there are alternatives like OpenOffice that can provide a solution.
mugaliens
Last night I broken down and installed Microsoft's Silverlight. Ever since then I've not been able to play any DVDs, whether via Microsoft's programs or ZoomPlayer (my favorite). I uninstalled Silverlight, but still no joy.

I have no problem reading or writing data CDs or DVDs, but when it comes to playing movies, all I get is "Could not find a DVD or BlueRay disc."

Any ideas?

Regardless, THANK YOU, MICROSOFT, for jacking up yet ANOTHER perfectly functional portion of your operating system.

I've already switched to http://download.openoffice.org/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Uninstalling silverlight solved the problem. Back to watching movies.

mugaliens said:
I uninstalled Silverlight, but still no joy.

mugaliens said:
Uninstalling silverlight solved the problem. Back to watching movies.

Huh?

jarednjames said:
Huh?

That's Microsoft logic for you.

I cannot provide a definitive answer without conducting further research and experimentation. However, based on my understanding of Silverlight and DVD playback, it is possible that the installation of Silverlight has caused conflicts with the DVD playback software on your computer. This could be due to Silverlight changing certain settings or taking over certain functions that were previously handled by the DVD playback software.

I suggest trying to troubleshoot the issue by reinstalling the DVD playback software and checking for any updates or patches that may address compatibility issues with Silverlight. It may also be helpful to check for any known issues or conflicts between Silverlight and the specific DVD playback software you are using.

Alternatively, you could try using a different DVD playback software or using a different media player that is not affected by Silverlight. It is also worth noting that the issue may not be directly caused by Silverlight, but could be a result of other software or settings on your computer.

In any case, I understand your frustration with the situation and I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you. Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback with Microsoft's Silverlight.

1. What is Microsoft's Silverlight?

Microsoft's Silverlight is a deprecated application framework for writing and running rich internet applications, similar to Adobe Flash. It was used to create interactive and multimedia content for web browsers, but it is no longer supported by Microsoft.

2. Is Silverlight still being used?

No, Silverlight is no longer being used. Microsoft ended support for Silverlight in October 2021, and it is no longer available for download.

3. What are the advantages of using Silverlight?

Some of the advantages of using Silverlight were its ability to create rich and interactive content, its cross-platform compatibility, and its support for high-quality video and audio streaming.

4. Can Silverlight still be used in web development?

No, Silverlight is no longer recommended for use in web development as it is no longer supported by Microsoft. It is recommended to use alternative technologies such as HTML5 and JavaScript.

5. Is there a replacement for Silverlight?

Yes, HTML5 and JavaScript are the recommended replacements for Silverlight. These technologies offer similar capabilities for creating rich internet applications and have better support and compatibility across different devices and browsers.

Back