What is the significance of Δx and Δp in the ideal gas entropy equation?

Also, the average position of the particles should be 0, so ##\bar{x}=0##. Therefore, ##\Delta x## should be calculated as$$(\Delta x)^2=\left( \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^{N}x_i^2\right)-\bar{x}^2$$which simplifies to$$(\Delta x)^2=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^{N}x_i^2$$since ##\bar{x}=0##. So in this context, ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta p## represent the variances of position and momentum, respectively, of the particle population.
etotheipi
Up to an undetermined constant ##a## the entropy of an ideal gas goes like$$S = k_B N\ln \left[ a^\frac{3}{2} \left(\frac{V}{N}\right) \left(\frac{E}{N}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} \right]$$In some notes is written:
We can consider that E/N is the average energy of each molecule and V/N is the average volume occupied by each molecule (both are therefore intensive while S is extensive). How do we relate this equation to the Boltzmann’s law of Eq. (1) and how do we determine the constant a? Clearly, if we let$$\frac{(\Delta p)^2}{2m} = \frac{E}{N},\quad (\Delta x)^3 = \frac{V}{N}$$then, roughly speaking, ##\Delta p## is the magnitude of the change of momentum of the molecules and ##\Delta x## is that of the change of position

And then they identify ##\Omega = \left(\frac{\Delta x \Delta p}{w}\right)^{3N}## from Boltzmann's formula, with ##w=\sqrt{2m/a}##.

I am confused about what ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta p## represent here. At first glance it looks like the product ##\Delta x \Delta p## represents some area element in the ##x##/##p_x## phase space, but if that is true, I don't know how we obtain the relation ##\frac{(\Delta p)^2}{2m} = \frac{E}{N}##... if anything I would have thought it be something like$$\frac{1}{N} \sum_i^N \frac{p_i^2}{2m} = \frac{E}{N}$$I hoped someone could clarify. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\Omega## is the phase-space measure. The problem in classical statistics is the lack of a physical determination of the phase-space measure. This is of course immediately cured by quantum theory. As to be expected it turns out that ##w=h=2 \pi \hbar##, counting the number of free-particle states per phase-space-volume element. Just put free particles in a finite-volume box like a cube and assume periodic boundary conditions (it should be periodic rather than rigid boundary conditions, because otherwise you don't have a cleanly defined self-adjoint momentum operator). Then you can calculate everything and finally take the "thermodynamic limit" ##V \rightarrow \infty## for intensive quantities like particle-number density, energy density etc. The limit is not always trivial, as already the example of Bose-Einstein condensation of a free gas shows.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
I think ##\Delta p## is considered as the variance of the momentum of the particle population. It should then be calculated as
$$(\Delta p)^2=\left( \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^{N}p_i^2\right)-\bar{p}^2$$
but ##\bar{p}=0## since it's an ideal gas.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a microstate of an ideal gas?

A microstate of an ideal gas refers to the specific arrangement and motion of individual gas molecules in a given system. This includes the position, velocity, and energy of each molecule.

2. How does temperature affect the microstates of an ideal gas?

As temperature increases, the number of possible microstates also increases. This is because higher temperatures correspond to higher molecular energy and more random motion, resulting in a larger number of possible arrangements.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and the number of microstates in an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, pressure is directly proportional to the number of gas molecules and temperature. This means that as the number of microstates increases, so does the pressure of the gas.

4. Can the microstates of an ideal gas be observed and measured?

No, the microstates of an ideal gas cannot be directly observed or measured. However, their effects can be observed through macroscopic properties such as pressure, volume, and temperature.

5. How do real gases differ from ideal gases in terms of microstates?

Real gases have more complex interactions between molecules, resulting in a smaller number of possible microstates compared to ideal gases. This means that real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior at high pressures and low temperatures.